Summerhill’s power surge earns him Huskie of the Week

A+graphic+shows+senior+catcher%2Foutfielder+Colin+Summerhill+as+the+Huskie+of+the+Week.+Summerhill+hit+his+MAC-leading+15th+home+run+on+Sunday.+%28Eddie+Miller+%7C+Northern+Star%29+
Eddie Miller
A graphic shows senior catcher/outfielder Colin Summerhill as the Huskie of the Week. Summerhill hit his MAC-leading 15th home run on Sunday. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU senior outfielder/catcher Colin Summerhill earned his first Huskie of the Week honor of the 2024 season and the second of his NIU career for his record-tying performance Sunday.

Summerhill launched six home runs and drove in 13 runs last week, including four home runs in a three-game series against the University of Illinois. 

Summerhill also had multi-homer games against Eastern Illinois University on April 9 and Illinois on Sunday.

After homering in all four games last week, the Chicago native is now up to 15 home runs on the season. Summerhill leads the MAC in home runs and is tied for first in RBIs

Summerhill is currently hitting .266 with 15 home runs and 41 RBIs in 2024. He has tied the single-season NIU record for home runs and now ranks third on the NIU career home run list.

The Huskies’ next game will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Ralph McKinzie Field at Walt and Janice Owens Park in DeKalb against the University of St. Thomas. 

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced April 22.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from April 8 to April 14.