Flexibility is key in navigating new masking rules

Northern Star file photo

A littered facemask lays along West Hillcrest Drive in DeKalb.

By Parker Otto

Following Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s announcement on Wednesday that mask mandates would be lifted at the end of the month, NIU announced a plan the following day to implement a new system beginning on Feb. 28. But, when the mandates are lessened or lifted altogether, we must be considerate of others’ feelings and their desire for safety in these uncertain times. 

According to NIU’s announcement, sent to students via email, masks are only to be required in the following places at NIU: in-person classes/labs, NIU library, health facilities, surveillance testing sites, public transportation and the NIU Child and Family Development Center. 

“I think the policy changes make sense,” said Daniel Libman, a professor of English at NIU. “If Illinois is loosening the mask mandate then NIU should reflect those changes. My understanding is we’re still going to be required to mask up in class, and I’m glad about that.”

The reason for the mask mandates being lifted has been attributed to a lack of hospitalizations due to COVID-19.

“We are now seeing the fastest rate of decline in our COVID-19 hospitalization metrics since the pandemic began,” Pritzker said Wednesday at a press conference. “If these trends continue, and we expect them to, then on Monday, Feb. 28, we will lift the indoor mask requirement for the state of Illinois.”

However, some students at NIU feel that the lack of consistency of NIU’s plans can make the continued use of masks in the aforementioned settings ineffective.

“I don’t understand why you have to wear masks in class. There’s still enough social settings outside (of class) for COVID-19 to spread,” said Conner Murphy, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering. “I don’t see if it will make much of a difference.”

While Dr. Anthony Fauci told the Financial Times that the U.S. is heading out of the pandemic stage, it’s safe to be cautious, especially since we’ve had to regress to online classes before. After a semester of in-person classes, NIU had the first week of classes in the Spring 2022 semester moved online due to the rise in the Omicron variant. 

“I’ve seen NIU go back and forth too many times to believe it right off the bat, but I’m hopeful,” Murphy said. 

However, despite mask mandates being phased out, people aren’t going to stop wearing them for a while. After two years of this pandemic, it may be hard to adjust if we are truly going back to normal. Some people may want to keep wearing masks for a while, and others may ditch them as soon as February ends. Either viewpoint is understandable. 

So, don’t make assumptions. Most people who will stop wearing masks immediately aren’t crazy, anti-vax, conspiracy theory, QANON wackos. Many people are just tired of pandemic living and are now seizing an opportunity to finally return to the way things were pre-pandemic. 

“There have been so many heroes over the past couple of years, but somehow the voices of the villains are the ones which get amplified,” Libman said. “Maybe it’s always been like that. Maybe a simple lesson is that when you’re not feeling healthy, stay away from people. If you’re sick, it’s actually not good to go to work.”

People still wearing masks should be allowed to take these more lenient mandates at their own pace. If you have lost a loved one to COVID, it makes sense that you’d be more cautious. Just remember to be tolerant.