Gymnastics team sets school record at Eastern Michigan

Sean Reed

Junior Brookelyn Sears poses whilst performing on the balance beam in the NIU Tri-Meet against Lindenwood University and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Friday. Sears competed in all four rotations at the meet, ending with an all-around score of 39.125. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

By Noah Silver, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — NIU women’s gymnastics ended the regular season with a bang, setting a school record with a commanding 196.350-195.375 victory over the Eastern Michigan University Eagles Sunday in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

The Huskies will be riding a wave of momentum as they head back to Eastern Michigan for the MAC Championship. 

“This was about the best dress rehearsal [for the MAC Championships] we could run before next week on all levels,” NIU head gymnastics coach Sam Morreale said. “We are super happy with how it all came together. It’s very cool to break the school record for the second time this year, and it was just fun today to watch us do what we intend to do.”  

Senior gymnast Gabby Welch led the Huskies on vault with a 9.850 for first, while sophomore gymnast Brookelyn Sears followed close behind with a 9.825 to nab second place.

Junior gymnast Natalie Hamp tied for first on bars with a 9.900, while Sears again had a strong showing, scoring a 9.850 for third.

Freshman gymnast Ellery Werner had a great showing on the balance beam as she took first place with a 9.875. Sophomore gymnast Alyssa Al-Ashari Scored a 9.850 to take hold of second place.

Senior gymnast Tara Kofmehl absolutely dominated the floor exercise as she put up a 9.925 to take first place, while Sears held on for fourth place with a 9.850.

“We were just super loose today, super comfortable,” Morealle said. Everyone was enjoying themselves, and we’re a lot better when we do that and have fun with it. It wasn’t perfect, but we had a really, really good meet.”

NIU now sets their sights on the MAC Championships, Saturday at 1 p.m. in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Coverage of the meet will be on ESPN3.