SGA vice president candidate hopes to be a voice for students

Kaylin Lee will focus on increasing engagement and destigmatizing mental health.

Kaylin+Lee%2C+sophomore+music+education+major%2C+is+running+for+vice+president+of+SGA.+Lee+hopes+to+break+the+stigma+around+mental+health.+

Zohair Khan

Kaylin Lee, sophomore music education major, is running for vice president of SGA. Lee hopes to break the stigma around mental health.

DeKALB― NIU’s Student Government Association is set to complete elections on Tuesday and Wednesday. Kaylin Lee, sophomore music education major, is on the ballot for the position of vice president. Lee is uncontested for the position. 

Executive elections occur every spring semester and will decide who sits in executive leadership positions for the remainder of the next year, according to SGA’s official webpage. 

“My goal has always been to become president of SGA at NIU, and this election came at the perfect time,” Lee said. “I was talking to some friends and I thought this was the perfect time to make that dream a reality.”  

Until this election cycle, Lee had not been directly involved with SGA. This is also her first time running in the SGA elections. 

“(By running for vice president,) I thought I was being ambitious with it, but not overly ambitious since I’ve never been a part of SGA,” Lee said. 

With her platform, Lee wants to focus on student outreach and mental health across campus.

“We want to focus on mental health, LGBTQ+, students with disabilities and minority students,” Lee said. “We want to feel like we are the voice for the students who don’t have a voice.” 

Lee said that when elected, she plans on holding events and hosting speakers to help break the stigma about mental health. She also wants to become a resource for students who want to get involved in student clubs and organizations.

“Something specific with my platform is involvement (and) engagement with different groups at NIU,” Lee said. “I want people to feel like they can come to NIU or come to me with any issues (or) concerns they have with their organization.”

While her focus for the upcoming election has largely been mental health and outreach, Lee also took the time during her campaign to listen to students’ other concerns, such as club funding and getting involved on campus. 

“The big thing with (campaigning) is making connections with students and getting your name out there, getting your platform out there,” Lee said. “I love talking and I love interacting with different students here at NIU, (so) I went around and shook hands with about 250 students at NIU and listened to some of their concerns.” 

Students who wish to vote for candidates in the upcoming election can do so in person from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday at five different voting station locations across campus. Voting stations include Barsema Hall, the Holmes Student Center, New Hall  community center, Founders Memorial Library and DuSable Hall.

Students can also vote online through Huskie Link. The online polls will be open for 24 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“For me, I think that if I get elected to the position, the progress that I hope to make at NIU (with) involvement (will) be really rewarding for me,” Lee said. “The most rewarding thing for me will be for students to enjoy their college experience (by getting involved).”