Notre Dame scores 11 on visiting Huskie baseball

The NIU baseball team now has a 4-18 season record

Wes Sanderson

Junior infielder Paddy McKermitt slides into first base during a game against Kent State Monday in DeKalb.

By Jordan Radloff

DeKALB — The NIU baseball team traveled to South Bend, Indiana, Tuesday for a single game matchup against Notre Dame University. The Huskies lost 11-2 to the Fighting Irish.

Sophomore Connor Langreder was the starting pitcher for NIU, facing off against Notre Dame starting pitcher junior Liam Simon. Huskie pitchers combined for six strikeouts and an 11.41 earned run average compared to Notre Dame’s 13 strikeouts and 2.27 earned run average.

The Fighting Irish pulled ahead with the lead right away after a solo home run from graduate student infielder Jared Miller in the bottom of the first inning. The home team continued their dominance over the visiting Huskies with a four-run rally in the second inning.

NIU responded in the top of the third inning with their only two runs of the game. Sophomore infielder Eric Erato hit a sacrifice ground-out to score junior infielder Paddy McKermitt. Sophomore infielder Andre Demetral was able to follow McKermitt shortly after, scoring on a passed ball to make it a 5-2 game.

Another one-run inning in the fourth and a five-run rally in the sixth inning by the Fighting Irish gave Notre Dame a decisive victory over the Huskies.

NIU only had three hits during the game from McKermitt, Demetral and Erato during their only scoring action in the third inning.

“It wasn’t the outcome we wanted but I was happy to see us be much better on the mound,” head coach Mike Kunigonis said in an NIU Athletics news release. “We did a good job of getting ahead early in counts and forcing contact. It’s something we can build on heading into the weekend.”

Following the loss, NIU now has a 4-18 overall season record and holds a 4-6 Mid-American Conference record.

The Huskies will see their next action this weekend as they welcome Miami University Friday for their second home series of the season at Ralph McKinzie Field in DeKalb.