Baseball swept by Central Michigan in road series

The Huskies’ overall season record falls to 6-25.

Wes Sanderson

Then-junior outfielder Malik Peters (right) slides to return to first base during a game against Miami University April 1, 2022 in DeKalb.

By Michael Stoll, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The NIU Huskies baseball team struggled in their four-game weekend road series against the Central Michigan University Chippewas, getting swept and mercy-ruled in half of the games.

NIU fell to 6-25 on the season after completion of the series Sunday afternoon, and 6-12 in conference play.

Friday: CMU 8, NIU 2

The series pitched-off Friday in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, with a close game of 2-1 with CMU up heading into the bottom of the sixth inning. From there, CMU scored six and blew both the game and the series open.

NIU had a chance to mount a comeback in the top of the ninth after sophomore Eric Erato was walked as the first at bat. But from there, it was a quick three-and-out to conclude the game with a final score of 8-2.

Junior Carlos Aranda led the way for the Huskies with two hits and an RBI while designated-hitting on four attempts.

Saturday: CMU 11, NIU 0

Game two of the series saw NIU quickly falter in making the game competitive, falling down 2-0 after one inning and failing to get a hit until the third inning.

In the third, CMU was then leading 4-0. After a hit from junior Paddy McKermitt, one walk, and a sacrifice bunt from Aranda, NIU had runners in scoring positions. However, CMU’s starting pitcher Andrew Taylor struck out the next two batters, ending the threat.

From there, CMU never looked back and ended the game early with an 11-0 mercy rule rout.

Sunday, game one: CMU 12, NIU 0

Sunday’s early-going double-header started out in much of the same fashion for the Huskies, immediately struggling out the gates to the Chippewas 7-0 after the first.

This game only saw two hits from NIU, one from Aranda and one from junior Malik Peters. NIU once again was mercy-ruled with a premature finish of 12-0.

Sunday, game two: CMU 8, NIU 5

The weekend series concluded much more competitively for the Huskies in the second of Sunday afternoon’s doubleheader, with the Chippewas completing the sweep with a final score of 8-5.

NIU finally found some success at the batter’s box, finishing with ten hits in the ballgame, compared to CMU’s seven. But nine runners were left on base in the game, and after allowing the eight total earned runs in the first five innings, NIU couldn’t mount the comeback, despite making some noise in the last two innings.

Sophomore Mason Kelley led the way for the Huskies in the afternoon with three hits in five tries.

Series notes and looking ahead

NIU found themselves down after one inning in every match, and never had a lead at any point in the series. CMU overall outscored the Huskies 39-7.

Aranda and Kelley spearheaded the Huskies’ efforts this weekend with three hits apiece.

NIU’s next series starts at 1:30 p.m. on April 15 in Rochester, Michigan, against the Oakland University Grizzlies, who currently sit at 15-15 on their season.