Ask Madelaine: Response to Jessica

May Taing

Illustration design courtesy of May Taing.

By Madelaine Vikse, Editor-in-Chief

Have you ever had a crush on someone you’ve never talked to before but want to and are unsure how to approach them? If your answer is yes, or you find yourself in that situation right now, this advice column might be for you.

There is a boy I like and I really want to talk to him. We aren’t friends or anything but he seems like a chill person. How should I approach him?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, thank you for your submission. One thing you could do is see if you both have anything in common that could be used to strike up a conversation. For example, if he’s wearing a sweatshirt with a band, artist or sports team that you are a fan of, that could be a great ice breaker to get a conversation started.

If this is someone you have a class with, I think that this is the perfect time to approach someone you’ve had your eye on for a while because it’s near the end of the semester. If it goes well, you can both continue to talk and if it doesn’t, you won’t have to see him, at least for a while. If you have a class together and sit near each other, you could ask a basic question about homework or an assignment and see where that leads. 

If this is someone that you work with, start the conversation off with something about the job, or, if the weekend is coming up, ask if they have any fun plans.

Whether it be at school or work you could approach him with a compliment if you’re feeling confident, but make sure to be aware of his reaction to what you say. You don’t want to make him feel uncomfortable.

Just remember to be yourself. If he does wear something with a certain band or team and you aren’t a fan or do not know who they are, do not try to pretend. This will only backfire on you, plus, you want him to like you for you and not for someone you pretend to be.

To submit a request or situation for advice from Madelaine, click here to fill out the form.