Street interviews: Thoughts on NIU naming new mascot Mission III?

See NIU student reactions to NIU’s newest live mascot being named Mission III.

NIU introduced Mission III, the new Siberian Husky live mascot, to replace Mission II, whose time frolicking in NIU spirit was spectacularly done, but who will step down due to allergy complications. The new mascot being named Mission III continues the tradition of numerically sequencing mascots as they serve and retire. While there is much to celebrate, from fluffy puppy fur to that perfect puppy smell, many students feel the young mascot deserves a new name of its own.

Jamie Yaman

Jamie Yaman, a sophomore art education major. (Jamie Yaman)

YEAR: Sophomore

MAJOR: Art education 

How do you feel about naming NIU’s new live mascot “Mission III”?
Answer: “Well, I think Mission is, like, a cute thing. I just wish there was, like, other names. So like, this is Mission, and then this is…Fighter! I don’t know, like keywords that people want the Huskies to have or something, like the inner spirit. So when you hear like, I don’t know, Pride or something, you’re like ‘Ah, the dog. Yeah, I am that Huskie!’ That would be really cool because whenever I hear, like, the numbers, I’m just like ‘I don’t know which is which!’ They’re numbers, but it feels like Thing One and Thing Two.” 

Anything important to add about the new puppy?

Answer: “I think it’s cute! I wish they had, like, different animals. That would be really funny. Like a husky as the main one but then, like…this is the new mascot…and it’s just like a random animal. It’s like a little joke or something…like ‘Is that a horse?!’”

Arianna White, junior biology major. (Lucy Atkinson)

Arianna White

YEAR: Junior

MAJOR: Biology

Answer: “I think individual names (would be better). Yeah, because Mission One sounds like y’all doing something else…instead of dogs. Y’all should just name them separately.”

Why?

Answer: “Mission sounds nice, Mission sounds like ‘Ooo!’ to think about it. So Mission is cool…I don’t really have a problem with Mission…(but)…yeah, it’s already been used! Like three times (is) enough. Y’all need to switch it up, it’s 2023. Do something new!” 

Answer: “Yeah I’m happy. It’s new, he’s little, can we see him? I hope he can pop out…I’m proud about the Missions, One, Two and Three.” 

Lydia Dorsey

Lydia Dorsey, junior BHA visual communications. (Lucy Atkinson)

YEAR: Junior

MAJOR: BHA visual communications 

Answer: “I think they (the huskies) should have individual names.”

Why?

Answer: “I mean, I’m assuming it’s gonna keep going. I feel like even after Mission One, Mission Two, I feel like that’s kind of dated for Three.”

Answer: “No I just found out about it…I wish they, like, would bring it around more, like I feel like I never really get to see it.” 

John Noonan, junior BHA visual communications major. (Lucy Atkinson)

John Noonan

YEAR: Junior

MAJOR: BHA visual communications

Answer: “I don’t think that’s a good name.”

Why?

Answer: “I feel like I wouldn’t want to be labeled as a number, like, that just seems kind of weird…I wouldn’t want a number as my name. (It should be) something more custom to the specific dog.”

For more information on the introduction of Mission III, click here.