Scout and Campbell shine at Big Meet

By Joseph Segreti, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU women’s track and field showcased impressive finishes at the GVSU Big Meet, including fifth-year Kadeja Campbell taking a first place finish in the 400-meter dash.

Campbell took home a first place finish in the 400-meter dash with a time of 55.19 seconds. Junior Skylynn Blue was the second place finisher for the 200-meter dash, finishing with a time of 24.34 seconds.  

Junior Scout Regular finished in third place in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.52 seconds. Regular extended her streak of top-three finishes in the event on the season to five in a row. 

Sophomore Henriette Halwas took a fourth place finish in the long jump on Friday, with a final jump of 5.38 meters. Graduate student Aquilla St. Louis also competed in the long jump, as she finished in fifth place with a jump of 5.37 meters. 

Junior Lovie Annafi competed in the triple jump and earned an eighth place finish with a jump of 10.89 meters. 

Fifth-year Dymier Jeffery competed in the long jump and finished in ninth place with a jump of 1.58 meters. Last week at the Meyo Invitational, Jeffery was unsuccessful in her three attempts and no-heighted. 

In the early running of the 400-meter dash, sophomore Roshell Rowe finished in second place, with a time of 57.76 seconds. Senior Christine Irving finished two spots behind Rowe in fourth, with a final time of 57.92 seconds. 

“The athletes competed today with purpose,” said NIU Director of Track and Field Connie Teaberry. “Grand Valley always has great competition and we get the opportunity to see a number of other MAC teams. Our group sharpened up its execution in every event, showed heart, and most are walking away with seasons best.”

The Huskies will travel to Madison, Wisconsin, on Feb. 17 for the Badger Invitational at the Camp Randall Sports Center.