NIU dorms are not secure enough

Nyla Owens

Fluffy clouds pass through the sky early Thursday above Stevenson Towers on the west side of campus. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

By Emily Beebe, Assistant Editor

Dorm safety is an important issue that needs to be addressed. Many college students spend most of the year living in dorms and they should not have to fear for their lives and safety.

According to NIU Police Department crime logs from January 2023 and February 2023, there have been a number of crime-related issues in every dorm, including trespassing and tampering with security systems. This has caused concern for students’ safety. 

Students and housing employees can play their part to keep the dorms safe from trespassing incidents, but it might not be enough. 

NIU has set up multiple security measures for their dorms, including OneCard scanners to access the buildings and the students’ rooms. Each residence hall has scanners by the front desk where students are supposed to scan their OneCard upon entry. However, it is not enforced very often, so most students do not bother scanning their OneCard. 

Freshman business finance major Kavya Joshi, a Grant Towers resident, said that there is one major safety concern that outdoes all the rest.

“There are some floors where anyone can get in without scanning their OneCard and that is definitely a safety concern,” Joshi said. 

Because the use of the scanners is not as enforced as it should be, it leaves room for any student to access the residence halls. 

In the past, NIU sent emails to students whenever there was a crime-related issue. However, these emails have disappeared within the past couple of months. This is a major problem in the event of a significant crime-related issue or an emergency. 

“I think they definitely should resume sending emails. I’ve had to find out from other people who also found out from other people. It’s definitely a lack of communication,” Joshi said. 

Senior Stormy Kara, a senior communications and sociology major, believes that there are other issues to be focused on first over the use of the scanners.

“I feel like there are other things that could be focused on first,” Kara said. 

Something that students can do to prevent theft, for example, is to make sure they lock their doors when they are not in their rooms. Students should also never lend their key or OneCard to anyone. Students should always be aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious activity to the front desk, their CA, or campus security immediately.

As students living on campus, we deserve to not be fearful for our lives and for our safety.