College isn’t mandatory for career success

A+group+of+engineers+watch+as+their+instructor+writes+on+the+board.+Many+types+of+jobs+dont+require+a+four-year+college+degree.+

Getty Images

A group of engineers watch as their instructor writes on the board. Many types of jobs don’t require a four-year college degree.

By Emily Beebe, Assistant Editor

People are usually told at some point in their lives that they need to go to college if they want to be successful. Despite this, there are many different careers where you can be just as successful without a four-year college degree.

College is expensive — according to Forbes the total student loan debt, which includes both federal and private loans, is 1.75 trillion dollars. Graduating college with a lot of debt can put a damper on your financial situation, especially if you’re starting out in a job with an entry-level salary. In fact, the debt accumulated from college can be crippling to young adults who are already struggling to navigate their lives in society.

There are also many different ways to achieve success. For example, you can become an entrepreneur, start your own business and become successful without a four-year college degree.

If you have a career in mind, there are also trade schools and vocational programs that do not get the attention or respect they deserve. According to Indeed, a trade job is one that requires specialized training instead of a four-year degree. There are many different hands-on careers that you can go to trade school or a specific school for such as cosmetology, carpentry or culinary arts.

Many job opportunities that don’t require a four-year college degree, such as welding, plumbing, electricians and construction workers, are in high demand. For example, an ultrasonographer career needs an associate’s degree and the job demand is expected to rise by 10% in the next 10 years and the job demand for a respiratory therapist is expected to rise 14% in the next 10 years, according to Indeed.

Though they typically don’t require a four-year degree, trade jobs do usually require trade school or an equivalent. These jobs can provide stability, a sense of accomplishment and opportunities for growth in the future.

College doesn’t necessarily prepare you for the real world, as it doesn’t typically provide much practical experience. Instead, college tends to focus more on theory and abstract concepts rather than real-world application, especially since the first two years of college usually consist of general classes such as history and biology.

There are only certain career paths where you get direct real-world experience in college, such as teaching or nursing. Most of the time, students can obtain better preparation and training for a similar job with relevant work experience and on-the-job training.

Most people tend to go to college depending on what career they want to pursue, but college isn’t the end all, be all. So, don’t worry if college is not for you. There is always a way — you just have to go after whichever education is best for you.