Offense wakes up to pound three foes

By Todd McMahon

What do Bears, Cardinals and Colonels have in common?

They all bore witness to the offensive reawakening of the NIU field hockey team this weekend at Saint Louis University.

NIU (4-8-1) ended its five-game winless streak Friday with a 5-3 victory over Southwest Missouri State University. The Huskies then shut out the University of Louisville 5-0 Saturday and Eastern Kentucky University 6-0 on Sunday.

In a display of total offensive dominance, NIU had an incredible 102 shots on goal for the three games, compared to the opponents’ 13. In addition, the Huskies had 49 penalty corners and found a new goalkeeper in freshman Amy Boomershine.

NIU experienced no troubles with Eastern Kentucky as the Huskies racked up 68 total shots on goal. NIU led 2-0 at the half thanks to two goals by sophomore Karin Marino—both coming on assists from freshman Christie Berta.

The momentum carried over to the second half as freshman Becky Walker added two goals, and junior Kristina Hahn and freshman Anouk Kamp each scored once. Marino and freshman Jen Wilds each added two assists in the period.

Hahn and Berta each scored twice in the win over Louisville. Kamp also added a goal as the Huskies fired 24 shots on the Cardinals.

Hahn and junior Kristin Felter each tallied two goals in the victory over Southwest Missouri State. Marino also scored a goal and Boomershine made five saves on the Bears to preserve the win.

Bell couldn’t be more pleased with her team and her new goalkeeper. “Amy stepped in and played real well for us,” Bell said. Boomershine, a former defensive back, took over goalkeeping duties after Gretchen Splinter quit the team before the weekend.

“I knew we had a good chance of winning a game or two coming in,” Bell said. “They played real well and the confidence is back in them. I think it will definitely carry over into the second half of conference play.”

The Huskies will next meet Michigan State University Friday at 3 p.m. at Huskie Stadium.