Huskies to host RedHawks in MAC home opener

NIU returns home after 11-match road spell
Courtesy NIU Athletics
Junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo serves the ball during NIU’s season-opener against the Chicago State University Cougars on Aug. 25 at the NIU Convocation Center. The Huskies are set to play in Victor E. Court for the first time this season Friday against the Miami University RedHawks. (Courtesy NIU Athletics)

The NIU volleyball team is slated to make its long-awaited homecoming this weekend after spending the past month battling on the road.

NIU (3-11, 1-1 MAC) will host the Miami University RedHawks (4-10, 0-2 MAC) at Victor E. Court on Friday and Saturday. NIU returns home after splitting its MAC-opening series with defending league champion Bowling Green State University on the road.

“We had a great weekend, but we’ve got to keep getting better,” said NIU volleyball head coach Sondra Parys after Tuesday’s practice. “We have to do what you did last week to put yourself in that position as many times as possible until it’s a new habit here.”

WELCOME HOME, HUSKIES

Friday’s contest will be the Huskies’ first action at Victor E. Court – the team’s traditional home – this season after playing each of their first three home matches in the NIU Convocation Center. It will also be Parys’ first match coaching in Victor E. Court.

Parys said her squad is excited to play on home court, yet remains focused on controlling what it can control.

“I think we got comfortable on the road, which is a really good thing and why we had so much success against 1,200 people at Bowling Green,” Parys said. “It’s going to be an adjustment. I think we’re – instead of focusing on external – we’re going to still focus on our side of the net, and that’s really the only thing that matters. Environment is just a piece of it.”

The team has spent recent practices enhancing its serve-and-pass game and extending range offensively and defensively.

HIGH SCHOOL REUNION

Senior setter Ella Mihacevich and junior libero Crew Hoffmeier will each be pitted against former high school allies over the weekend.

Mihacevich will play opposite Miami junior middle hitter Brooke Cirigliano. The two players were teammates at Padua Franciscan High School in Parma, Ohio.

Meanwhile, Hoffmeier will be responsible for fending off attacks from Miami junior outside hitter Caroline Cermack. The pair of Louisville, Kentucky, natives played on the same Assumption High School volleyball team.

Mihacevich is currently averaging 6.54 assists per set, good for 10th-best mark in the MAC. Hoffmeier continues to hold the top spot in the conference in digs per set (4.93). Junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo is among the top-10 players in the league in hitting percentage (.298) and blocks per set (0.88).

READING THE REDHAWKS

The RedHawks enter their first set of road conference matchups with a 4-10 record and still in search of their first MAC victory. Miami was swept in both matches against Western Michigan University.

Sophomore outside hitter Ellie Hanson leads Miami on its offensive and defensive fronts. Hanson is averaging 3.10 kills per set and 3.04 digs per set.

Miami is fourth in the conference in team hitting percentage, including two players in the top-10 – senior middle hitter Maggie McCrary and sophomore middle hitter Gentry Warrick.

The RedHawks have struggled defensively this season. The team has mustered a conference-worst 76 total blocks while allowing its opponents an average hitting percentage of .251.

NIU holds a four-game lead in its all-time series with Miami. In their lone meeting of last season, the Huskies trounced the RedHawks in straight sets in DeKalb.

The first match of the weekend will begin at 6 p.m. Friday at Victor E. Court. A stream of the match will be carried on NIU All-Access. Live statistics will be provided by SIDEARM Sports.