Costume ideas for Halloween enthusiasts

A costume for you and a costume for you …
Nyla Owens
A row of Halloween costumes displayed at Spirit Halloween. The Illinois Department of Public Health reminds trick-or-treaters to be aware of potential dangers this Halloween. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

As the month of September comes to a close, and the spooky season creeps in, the question that could be on everyone’s mind is “What should I dress up as for Halloween?” 

This year has seen the release of quite a few movies, TV shows and characters such as Oppenheimer from the film namesake of “Oppenheimer” or Miles Morales from “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” that have captivated the hearts of many. As such, trick-or-treaters also have to consider what is affordable among their choices. 

SINGLE PERSON

Some good single-person Halloween costume ideas are Indiana Jones, Jigsaw from the “Saw” franchise, Ahsoka Tano from “Ahsoka,” Wednesday Addams from the series “Wednesday,” Ariel from “The Little Mermaid,” Din Djarin from “The Mandalorian,” Gamora from “Guardians of the Galaxy” or Danny Phantom.

DUO AND GROUP

If you intend on going with friends, some good ideas for costume ideas are Mario and Luigi from the “Super Mario Bros.” series, Oppenheimer and Einstein from the movie “Oppenheimer,” Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi from “Star Wars,” Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett Brown from “Back to the Future” or any of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

For anyone who is thinking of going with that special someone, a few ideas are Joker and Harley Quinn, Mr. and Mrs. Incredible from “The Incredibles,” the handheld controllers of the Nintendo Switch, Mario and Princess Peach, and finally Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala from the “Star Wars” franchise.

DIY

Of course, there is always the budget to worry about when you are choosing your costume. Some easy-to-make ideas are Barbie’s skating outfit from the “Barbie” movie as it only requires brightly colored yoga clothes and roller skates. A cowboy or cowgirl is another easy DIY costume since you can use a basic plaid shirt with blue jeans or khakis and a hat. 

Mario and Luigi can be a money-safe but iconic costume as most of the items needed to replicate their appearances, such as the overalls and the red or green long-sleeve shirts, can commonly be found in a closet. Ellie’s look from “The Last of Us” series can be made from clothing found in your closet, as her appearance is just normal street clothes.

All of these costumes can be found at Party City, Amazon, Spirit Halloween or Target at a less expensive price.