Field hockey falls to 0-4

By Todd McMahon

Lightning finally struck over the weekend as the NIU field hockey team ended its 1991 scoring drought.

After being shut out their first two games, the Huskies finally found the net Friday against Miami (Ohio) at Oxford, Ohio. The first goal of the year, however, wasn’t enough as the Redskins triumphed 2-1.

NIU doubled the scoring output Saturday against Ball State but again fell short 3-2 at Muncie, Ind.

The Huskies fired a season-high 15 shots on goal against Ball State but could only come up good twice.

NIU freshman Christie Berta scored with 21:01 left in the first to even the score at 1-1 on an assist from freshman Becky Walker.

After trailing 3-1 at the half, junior Kristina Hahn brought the Huskies to within a goal with 4:06 remaining in the game.

“Our defense kept us in (the game) after the first half,” NIU head coach Laurie Bell said. “They were able to protect (goalkeeper) Laurel (Hardesty).”

In a game called with 9:25 remaining due to lightning, Miami’s Patty Gerah tallied the game winner on Friday with 25:02 left.

Huskie freshman Marianne Simons scored NIU’s first goal of the year with 13:10 left in the first half on a feed from sophomore Kristen Felter.

“The attack was there,” Bell said. “The better effort was against Ball State, but overall, we’re starting to run and keep up with the opposition.”

The home opener for NIU (0-4) is Monday at noon at Huskie Stadium against Saint Louis University.”