Street interviews: El Niño

Anna Scanlan
A screenshot from this week’s street interviews shows Opinion Columnist Santiago Montañez interviewing students Kennedy Smith (left) and Kailyn Williams. Senior Opinion Columnist Emily Beebe and Opinion Columnist Santiago Montañez asked students about the El Niño winter. (Anna Scanlan | Northern Star)

The first week of the new semester brought frigid temperatures. Before the bitter cold, students were interviewed about their feelings toward the El Niño winter. 

Although we haven’t witnessed many warm temperatures so far, El Niño holds the potential for drier climates and warmer temperatures, according to the Smithsonian Institution. The warmer temperatures can help prevent ice and reduce vehicle collisions from the slippery ice.

With how bipolar Illinois’ weather tends to be, the temperature could drop at any given time. It’s best for students to dress for the weather.

Although the chance of precipitation during the El Niño winter is not as likely, there is always still a chance for snow. With the recent snowstorms throughout Illinois, this chance has become reality. 

During winter, there are a plethora of activities for individuals to enjoy, such as sledding, ice skating and building snowmen. While these activities are entertaining and provide joy to people, they may be hard to do with an El Niño winter.

Prior to winter break, NIU students provided their thoughts on the El Niño winter along with their favorite winter activities, unaware of the chilling weather to come.