Poll: Which water bottle brand is best?

Quentin Brown
Video Editor Joseph Howerton (left) asks Meika Bass, a freshman computer science major, about the best brands of water bottles. Which water bottle brand is best? (Quentin Brown | Northern Star)

With a new year comes new goals. Some students opt to maintain or get better grades, be more organized and use planners or work out and hit the gym. A popular resolution is also to stay hydrated. 

Hydration is the latest trend among Generation Z. Some water bottle brands are popular and have become status symbols. The Stanley brand, which has found success on platforms like TikTok and X, is all the rage, as seen on social media recently. 

But opinions differ, so what water bottle brand is most popular among NIU students?

STANLEY

Almost everyone has seen the viral TikTok of the Stanley cup, surviving without a scratch after a car burned. Their large size and capacity to keep drinks cold for hours are key features of this brand. The most popular bottle, the Quencher Travel Tumbler, comes in different sizes and colors, and their prices range between $20 and $60.

In 2022, Stanley redesigned the Quencher, adding an ergonomic handle, comfort-grip inlays and a 90% recycled stainless steel structure. This model, the Quencher H2.0, also features a FlowState Lid with a silicone seal around its straw base to avoid spillage. The lid has a rotating top with three settings: a wide-mouth opening, a straw opening and the cover to close it.

HYDRO FLASK

Another famous brand among Gen Z, the Hydro Flask, also had its viral moment on TikTok in the same manner as Stanley. Its TempShield technology, double wall insulation that protects temperature, is excellent for keeping the drink’s temperature hot or cold for hours.

These water bottles also come in different sizes and colors, ranging from around $20 to $80. What sets Hydro Flask apart from competing brands is its vibrant colors, customizable lids and substantial space to decorate with stickers. Most bottles have a small base diameter, making them perfect to fit in a cup holder.

YETI

Known for their luxury outdoor goods, Yeti also sells stainless steel cups. A fan favorite, the Yeti 20 oz. Rambler, is double-wall vacuum insulated, and it’s perfect for cold and hot drinks. There are other sizes and colors, and students can buy accessories to customize their bottles.

The Rambler is made of stainless steel, making it rust-resistant and more durable to damage from drops. A downside to the Rambler may be that it’s not entirely leak-proof. They claim on their website that bottles and tumblers are different for this reason, and bottles and their caps have a leak-proof seal.

TAKEYA

Takeya is a sporty brand marketed to gym-goers and athletes. A fan-favorite, the Takeya Actives insulated water bottle comes in six sizes, seven colors and two lids. The double-insulated stainless steel bottles keep contents cold for 24 hours or hot for 12 hours.

Takeya bottles are designed to trap condensation inside the bottle and have a silicone coaster to soften their impact with surfaces, so they don’t slam when put down. These bottles are leak-free, so students can have peace of mind that they won’t spill if they’re dropped or put inside their bags. Also, the Actives bottles come with a sturdy handle for easy carrying.

This poll has ended.

What's the best water bottle brand?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Results of last week’s poll: What’s the best genre of music?

POP – 16%

R&B – 10%

COUNTRY – 6%

ROCK – 35%

OTHER – 32%