All internships should be paid

Robin Gamboa
A figure clutches their wallet with tear-filled eyes as negative money signs float from it. All internships should be paid internships to support students. (Robin Gamboa | Northern Star)

Internships are an excellent way for students to apply their theoretical knowledge to practical situations. Employers should offer paid internships because interns must be compensated for their work, time and skills.

Students seek internships to receive academic credit and mentorship. Employers, in return, get eager and cost-effective workers. Although students seek internships for the real-world experience they gain or because it’s a requirement for their degree, they also seek paid opportunities.

Julie Ann O’Connell, assistant director in the Center for Nonprofit and NGO Studies, said the center rarely places students in unpaid internships.

“We work really hard to fundraise to pay scholarships, at least, for students, but also many of our interns are placed in a program that we work in collaboration with the DeKalb County Nonprofit partnership,” O’Connell said. “This collaborative program matches nonprofits in DeKalb County with interns who are interested in completing internships and those internships, then are paid a stipend.”

Students who cannot sacrifice an income for a long time find unpaid internships difficult or impossible. Those who can afford unpaid internships gain more professional experience and the development of workplace and networking skills than less fortunate students.

“I think paid internships, it’s a really big deal, especially on our campus,” O’Connell said. “Like I know in NGO, we would have students who wouldn’t be able to complete an internship if they didn’t get at least the stipend. It’s an equity issue, so I think that’s why we work so hard on that. We wanna make it available to everybody.”

Despite lacking experience, students can be adaptable and fast learners. Companies can profit from their diverse viewpoints and dedication to high-quality work. Paid internships motivate and engage interns, creating a more positive and productive atmosphere.

Brian Pillsbury, director of career services, said employers recognize schools are a great place to recruit interns. Companies often register for career fairs or advertise their internships through Huskies Get Hired.

“I would say that the number of paid internships has been increasing over the years, and it’s especially prominent in for-profit organizations,” Pillbury said. “But even nonprofit organizations have increased their ability to pay interns.”

Additionally, offering paid internships would be attractive to top intern candidates who are knowledgeable and committed. It could further benefit the employer as it could identify talented candidates for future hiring needs.

Employers would also benefit from a diverse pool of student candidates with various backgrounds and demographics. Offering paid internships would also serve as a positive brand image and reputation toward a company to prove it invests in young talent.

“I will say our internship host sites, they love our students,” O’Connell said. “They (employers) find that you guys (NIU students) are well prepared. The diversity of our students really helps in the nonprofit sector. You guys come from and you have real-lived experiences that help make a difference in the nonprofit organizations.”

In a 2022 poll of 166 responding employers, 80% indicated internships provided the best return on investment as a recruitment strategy, and 50% to 60% of eligible interns convert to full-time employees, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers.

Unfortunately, some companies might not have the financial resources to afford paid interns; despite this, students still deserve something for their work and time. Even a small stipend is better than nothing, especially to help these students cover expenses like food and travel.

“I do think it’s a matter of social justice that we do all that we can to help employers fund internships and to encourage employers to fund internships,” Pillsbury said.

Besides their degree, students greatly benefit from securing internship opportunities to gain experience. Employers should see paid internships as a strategic investment that can positively impact their company. 

It is the social responsibility of companies to nurture future professionals.