Street Interviews: Major Pains

+Omar+Valdez%2C+a+freshman+finance+major%2C+responds+to+a+street+interviews+prompt.+Which+major+is+the+most+difficult+at+NIU%3F+%28Northern+Star+Graphic%29
Omar Valdez, a freshman finance major, responds to a street interviews prompt. Which major is the most difficult at NIU? (Northern Star Graphic)

One of the important aspects of college is choosing a program that is right, based on your intended career. However, some majors are more difficult than others. 

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Some may excel at math, whereas others may excel in writing. Therefore, the most difficult program of study may vary depending on what individuals struggle with and what they shine at.

Choosing the best major to match your career goals is important. Students want to make sure they choose a major they are passionate about, despite its difficult moments.

Some majors require more work than others, such as nursing for example. Fields of study that are math or science related require numerous equations, whereas fields such as English or history require many papers. 

However, STEM majors tend to be the most difficult for college students, according to a 2022 study from the Social Science Research Network.

Another aspect of challenging courses or a difficult major is the professor. 

Professors could make or break a subject or class for a student. The most challenging professors were in the molecular biosciences field with 84% having a difficulty range of at least a 3 out of 5, according to the 2022 study from the Social Science Research Network.

More importantly than any study are the thoughts of our students. So, which major do NIU students believe to be the most challenging?