Prize transfer

By Gregory Janicki

Considering the NIU baseball team was comprised of 25 walk-ons last season, it’s no wonder Joe “Spanky” McFarland is smiling over new faces.

One new visage that the second-year skipper is particularly excited about is that of second baseman Tom O’Neill, a transfer student from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

O’Neill, originally from Tinley Park, Ill., comes to NIU from a baseball program that folded after the 1991 season due to budget problems.

“The athletic department was in debt some real outrageous amount and needed to cut a few programs,” said O’Neill. “Unfortunately, baseball happened to be one of them.”

Fortunately for O’Neill and his teammates, all of the Badgers were granted the right to transfer schools with no restrictions on their eligibility.

“I talked with a lot of schools, Tulane and (University of) Tennessee mostly,” explained O’Neill. “Tulane offered me money, but I really liked coach McFarland and what he had to offer. I feel that I can really learn a lot from a coach like Spanky.”

McFarland shares O’Neill’s sentiment.

“He’s a great player and can really contribute to the team,” said McFarland. “He’s got a lot of experience on the field.”

O’Neill brings more to the Huskies than just experience. Last season, he hit better than .320 and stole 30 bases. His 14 stolen bases in 17 tries topped the Big Ten and aided O’Neill’s being named to the All-Conference team.

O’Neill, a junior majoring in Economics, is learning to adapt to NIU off the field as well.

“Wisconsin is a bigger school, both campus and student wise,” said O’Neill. “It’s only the first week, but I’m really starting to get along with everyone. I walk around and bump into people from (Tinley Park) high school that I never thought I’d see. I really like the school and the people and I’m glad I chose to come here.”