DeKalb Chamber of Commerce celebrates centennial celebration dinner

Gabby Crabtree
People are sitting at a table and talking. DeKalb Chamber of Commerce held the 100th Annual Celebration Dinner Thursday at the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center. (Gabby Crabtree | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Honors of the 2024 Nonprofit Organization, 2023 Business of the Year and inductees to the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame were all announced at the 100th Annual Celebration Dinner.

From 5:30 p.m. to 8:35 p.m. Thursday in the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center, 300 Chamber of Commerce members attended the 100th Annual Celebration Dinner for the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce dressed in their best attire. 

During the event ceremony, the 2023 Business of the Year award was given to El Jimador, a local Mexican restaurant at 260 E. Lincoln Highway.

Illinois Community Credit Union, Michaels, School Tool Box and Willrett Flower Company were all finalists for the 2023 Business of the Year. 

The 2024 Nonprofit Organization finalists included  Building Leaders Advocating for Change, Fox Valley Community Services, Habitat for Humanity of DeKalb County, Open Door Health Center and RAMP Center for Independent Living.

The Building Leaders Advocating for Change Inc. were awarded the honor. 

“We have been working very hard and tirelessly to make a big impact in our community and for our youth,” said Tiffany Tucker, the director of Building Leaders Advocating for Change Inc. 

The late Joseph Ebbesen was awarded the Hall of Fame Pioneer Award. Ebbesen was active in the DeKalb community founding DeKalb Optometric, serving on the Board of Education for district 428, serving as both city alderman and mayor and eventually serving in the Illinois House of Representative from 1972 to 1984.

“One thing that made him really proud was to be a good neighbor,” said Jay Ebbesen, Joseph Ebbesen’s son who accepted the award in his honor. “His desire to lend a hand, to help a friend or even a total stranger; that’s what drove him.”

Cortney Strohacker, executive director of DeKalb County Convention and Visitors Bureau points at the audience during her acceptance speech. Strohacker was inducted into the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame. (Gabby Crabtree | Northern Star) (Gabby Crabtree)

Cortney Strohacker, executive director of DeKalb County Convention and Visitors Bureau, was inducted into the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame. 

“Under her leadership the CVB played a significant role in the DeKalb county generating a local economic impact of $123 million,” said LaCretia Konan, associate vice president of College Relation at Kishwaukee College, when announcing Strohacker. 

Konan was appointed as the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce Board Chair by Tia Anderson, AVP retail manager at Heartland Bank and Trust Company, who was retiring from the position.

Shauna Stevens, member services representative of Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union, was given the Ambassador of the Year award.

Celine Bennetts, independent sales director at Mary Kay Cosmetics and the 2022 receipt of the Ambassador of the Year award presented Steven’s with the award and got choked up when doing so.

Shauna Stevens (left), member services representative of Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union, and Celine Bennetts, independent sales director at Mary Kay Cosmetics, share a hug during the ceremony of 2023 Ambassador of the Year. Bennetts awarded Stevens with the Ambassador of the Year award at the 100th Annual Celebration Dinner. (Gabby Crabtree | Northern Star) (Gabby Crabtree)

“They are not just building their future, but they are building the future of our chamber,” Bennetts said. “This individual has never met a stranger and greets everyone as a longtime friend. On a personal note, I have seen this person in beast mode at the gym”. 

The dinner served was made by NIU catering staff. Guests were fed chicken, salad, green beans, potatoes and cookies. 

When the 100th Annual Celebration Dinner ended many stayed after to chat and congratulate the recipients of awards.