Women’s tennis takes down Bowling Green 6-1

Katherine Follmer
Senior Anastasia Rakita prepares to serve on March 9 at the Nelson Tennis Center at Chick Evans Field House. NIU women’s tennis defeated Bowling Green State University 6-1 on Sunday. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU women’s tennis (14-10, 3-5 MAC) was victorious against Bowling Green State University (7-13, 0-8 MAC) in a 6-1 win Sunday. 

The Huskies triumphed as they won two out of three doubles, with the first match ruled incomplete, and winning five out of six singles matches. 

The first doubles match ended incomplete between NIU senior Diana Lukyanova and sophomore Isabella Righi and Falcon seniors Lucy Furness and Hannah Neuman as it finished 5-4. 

Huskie junior Erika Dimitriev and sophomore Nataly Ninova overcame Bowling Green freshman Isabella Baker and sophomore Leticia Fonseca in a 6-2 win. 

In the last doubles match, NIU sophomore Jenna Horne and senior Anastasia Rakita bested Falcon’s freshman duo Brynn Chaffee and Tia Clemens with the same score of 6-2. 

In singles, NIU won five out of six matches played with all of them being won in two sets. 

Lukyanova surpassed Furness in the first singles match played in two sets with a score of 6-1 and 7-6 (7-5). 

In the second singles match, Dimitriev faced Neuman and finished the match with scores of 6-4 and 2-0 after Neuman forfeited in the second set. 

Righi defeated Clemens in the third singles match as it finished in two dominant sets with scores of 6-0 and 6-2. 

Ninova got the better of Baker as their match finished with a score of 6-3 and 7-5.

In the fifth singles match, Fonseca obtained a win over Horne as the match finished 6-4 and 6-2. 

NIU junior Angelica Ross won against Chaffee in the last singles match where it finished in two sets with scores of 6-4 and 6-2.

The Huskies return for their final home match of the season at 1 p.m. Friday at the Nelson Tennis Center at Chick Evans Field House to face Ball State University. Live streaming will be available on Track Tennis and live scores will be found on iOnCourt.