NIU tennis teams predict successful fall campaigns

By Jim Engineer

NIU men’s tennis coach Carl Neufeld, and women’s coach Patty Groth both predict a successful season for Huskie tennis.

The men’s team returns this year led by junior Steve Wiere. As a freshman, Wiere qualified for the NCAA tournament and filled the number one position last season.

“He is one of the better players we have had here at NIU,” Neufeld said.

As a senior in high school, Wiere was ranked second in the state of California.

Neufeld said the team is strong in depth and has some very experienced players.

“They have the potential of becoming one of the best tennis teams NIU has had,” Neufeld said. “Consistency is very important, and our lineup is based on performance.”

Vying for third and fourth positions in the lineup are Eric Andersch and Kelly Holt. Andersch, a sophomore from Sweden, was ranked second last year on the roster.

“I expect him to be somewhere in the top of the lineup,” Neufeld said.

Although Neufeld has not arrived at a decision on which players will make the second and third doubles’ teams, Neufeld said the Wiere-Bowers combination would definitely be the No. 1 doubles duo.

For Groth, the season outlook is similar to the men’s team.

The netters, who capped a second place standing in the North Star Conference last season, will open the 1988-89 season against Indiana Sept. 9.

Seniority rules the top two seeds as Natascha Koprivica from Rome, and LeAnne Milne hold No. 1 and No. 2, respectively.

Groth said she is uncertain of who will fill the third and fourth positions.

“We have many players who could very easily fill the positions,” Groth said.

In doubles play, the top duo is comprised of sophomore Natascha Kleft from Belgium, and junior Kris Whitney. The team of Heidi Van Linkvelt-Milne fills the No. 2 doubles spot.

“We have a tough schedule. We’ll have to face some of the Big Ten schools who will really be our main competition,” said Groth.