Goalie Roy makes it all in the family

By Bob Regan

Following the NIU soccer team can be more confusing than listening to Abbott and Costello’s “Who’s on First?” In the Huskies’ case it’s more like “Which Roy is Which?.”

Well, which one wears the blue shirt in the goal. He’s definitely a Roy.

Meet the 1988 Huskie goalkeeper Markus Roy. Son of Willy Sr., brother of Willy Jr., and twin brother of Karsten. Confused yet? Don’t worry about it, you’ll never remember anyway.

Freshman Markus Roy may be no different than the usual first-year student off the playing field, but put him in front of the net and he protects it like the government does secrets.

Markus has seen a soccer ball at his feet since the age of six when he was consistently exposed to the play of his dad, who was playing in the professional ranks. Markus played in various youth groups, specifically the Maroons—a soccer organization Markus stills plays for.

Markus wasn’t always a goalie. He has played just about every position on the field, but not until his junior year in high school did Markus decide he wanted to use his hands. Markus says he learned his goalkeeping skills when he was always stuck in the net by his brothers when they would shoot around. C’mon Markus, don’t forget to thank your brothers.

The 6-2, 175-pound freshman from Fenton high school has had his share of experience in the game of soccer. He received All-America status by Parade Magazine. In addition to that, Markus was First-Team All-State, All-Area, and All-North Suburban League. Quite an impressive resume for the former Bison turned Huskie. But there’s more.

Roy took his talents to foreign lands by defending the goal for the United States 20-year-and-under squad which ventured to Guatemala and the Soviet Union.

Former Fenton soccer coach Mike Taylor critiqued Markus’ style.

“Markus has the ability to read a game and his athletic ability is tremendous,” Taylor said. “He has great reflexes. In our last three matches of the state tourney, he saved nine- out-of-14 penalty kicks.”

Coach Roy agreed with Taylor about Markus, and even added some extra praise.

“Markus is a very talented young goalie,” coach Roy said. “Playing with the U.S. national team makes him one of his age group’s premier goalies. He also has a very fine family background, although I may be prejudiced.”

All jest aside, Markus remembers the glory years of his father.

In the days when Chicago longed for a champion, the Chicago Sting, with head coach Willy Roy, gave the Windy City a champion. Markus and his brothers went to most of the games to watch the professionals win a much needed title for the city.

How about NIU Markus, can the Huskies gel into a very competitive team?

“We just have to find the right chemistry. We have a good attitude, but we’re just this short of winning,” said Markus using his fingers to illustrate the point.

Well, coming up short is a disappointment. But when you’re 6-foot-2 the word short is not heard too often. Could this Mr. All-Everything have a weakness on the field?

“I think it’s my quickness,” Markus admits. “My ability to get down fast enough when the shot’s coming right next to me.”

Well, no one is perfect. Not even a man who shows two personalities at times. Markus’ fierce side comes out in competition. His command from goal is considered crucial, and his choice words for brother Karsten can be heard throughout the stadium when situations get tough on the field.

Markus hopes to further his soccer career after college in some way. For now, however, his main concern will be to keep the NIU net free from any foreign objects.

Remember, It’s Markus (M-A-R-K-U-S) Roy. If you can keep the names of the Roy foursome straight, there will be no need to ask the people in the stands who’s who.