Groups offer opportunities to witness other lifestyles

By Shelley Wilson

Today will offer many opportunities for members of the DeKalb community to expand their knowledge and understanding of people of different ethnic, artistic, sexual, and political backgrounds.

The Office of University Resources for Latinos will bring a Mexican Folkloric Dance Troupe from Aurora. Performances will be at 5 p.m. at Stevenson South and at 5:45 p.m. at Grant South.

George Gutierrez, director of University Resouces for Latinos said, “There are so many differences between people. They have to take the time to understand.

“We are participating in the poster contest. We have a graduate student from South America who put together an idea for it. (By participating in Unity Through Diversity) we hope to show we’re united and people can share.”

James Brunson, area coordinator of Grant North and Grant South, is presenting an art exhibit as a celebration of Cultural Awareness Week. The exhibit is entitled, “Renaissance: Black images from 1895 through 1945. Recent watercolors by James E. Brunson.” Student Housing Services is sponsoring a reception for the artist and the opening of the Douglas Residence Hall English lab. The reception will be from 3 to 5 p.m. in Douglas A and B wing, lower level.

The John Lennon Society is sponsoring Ahmed Obafem, a representative from the New African People’s Organization. JLS member Tom Rainey said Obafem will speak on “The Roots of Racism and Mobilizing to Resist Racism on Campus.” Obafem believes the roots of racism originate on a national level and that the United States’ system is and always has practiced racism in some form or another.” Obafem will speak at 8:00 tonight in the Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center.

Rainey said, “It’s important that we understand and accept each other’s different cultures and traditions, but we’ve got to recognize that much of the racism is entrenched in the system.”

The Gay/Lesbian Union will hold a forum entitled “A Discussion of Alternative Lifestyles” from 6 to 8 tonight in the Holmes Student Center, room 505.