Hazardous weather conditions continue

Hazardous weather conditions continue

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB — Despite above zero temperatures expected for the week, the National Weather Service has issued a series of other warnings for the area, including risks for dense fog.

The warnings come after below freezing temperatures caused the university to cancel classes for four days last week in the interest of student and faculty safety.

The decision to close campus is made by representatives of many different university divisions, the provost and the president, according to NIU’s website. The process involves a data-driven consultation among the different parties.

Lisa Miner, senior director of institutional communications, said the semester’s scheduling, including graduation, will proceed as planned.

“NIU Faculty will continue to work with their students to make any necessary adjustments in order to make certain the course requirements are met,” Miner said.

Professors from across the university responded by adjusting syllabi, posting online lectures and maintaining their original syllabi through the use of online assignment submissions.

Classes before 5 p.m. were cancelled Jan. 28 due to heavy snow, freezing rain and high winds, followed by closures Tuesday.

Classes beginning after 5 p.m. were cancelled through Thursday due to extreme weather and record-breaking below-zero temperatures.

Wednesday held the most concern for students as the temperature plummeted, reaching 25 degrees below zero.

Thursday classes were cancelled due to mechanical issues with the Huskie Bus Line caused by the extreme cold. The bus line and university classes resumed normal scheduling Friday. The Huskie Safe Line resumed services 11 p.m. Thursday.

The potential for snow, sleet and freezing rain continue from Tuesday through Thursday and dense fog could mean visibility of less than a quarter mile, according to the National Weather Service.