SA Senate approves competitive cheer

By Morgan Fink

DeKALB — NIU Competitive Cheerleading, an organization that competes in local and national cheerleading competitions and rallies the crowd during NIU sporting events, was approved 30-0 at a Student Association Senate meeting.

The executive board for NIU Competitive Cheerleading spoke to senators Sunday. Board members include President Maysea Miller, Vice President Jordan Cores, Treasurer Jade Bottoms, Media Relations Coordinator Reese Wojtas and Secretary Rico Ludington.

The organization also cheers at NIU homecoming events, openings for local businesses, local high school events and pep rallies. Some of their goals include establishing involvement with recreational sports, focusing on new members for recruitment, increasing fundraising efforts and competing at the National Cheerleading Association Nationals in 2018.

“We go out into the public to show off for the community,” Miller said during the meeting. “It is to ensure NIU’s name is always out in the community.”

NIU Competitive Cheerleading also does a lot of fundraising for their organization. They are a self-funded organization that raised their own money through their fundraisers. Their fundraising balance is $5,050 raised since June 1, Miller said.

The amount raised is enough money to send the organization to the nationals competition.

Two Senators-at-Large Approved

The SA Senate approved of two senators-at-large, Ivan Sanchez and Skylar Smith. Both students were placed in District four.

Sanchez, a freshman computer science major, said he plans to represent the SA Senate to join a committee of his peers and create a positive change.

“Although I may be a freshman, my involvement will be ideal, and I look forward to working with the Student Association treasurer to resolve any issues that may rise while working with the student activities budget,” Sanchez said during the meeting.

Smith, a sophomore management major, plans to volunteer as much as possible on campus and increase voter turnout during SA Senate elections.

“After doing research online about the Student Association, I thought it would be an excellent way to pursue a reputable leadership position, and it’s a great way to give back to the school,” Smith said during the meeting.