Women’s soccer improves record

By Krystal Ward

DeKALB | Women’s soccer (4-5-2, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) will take on the Miami University Redhawks (5-5-1, 2-1-1 MAC) 3 p.m. today at Miami Soccer Field in Oxford, Ohio.

NIU trails the all-time series 3-12-3, but played the Redhawks to a 0-0 double-overtime draw in its last meeting on Oct. 18.

NIU is coming off a 2-1 victory against the Ohio University Bobcats Sunday as sophomore forward Taylor Sarver scored two goals in a match for the second time this season.

In the 13th minute, Sarver broke away into the right side of the box and placed the ball past Bobcats’ sophomore goalkeeper Erin Beurket. Sarver scored again in the 24th minute after she received an overhead lob on a throw-in, then controlled it on a dribble and shot it past Beurket. Both of Sarver’s goals were unassisted.

Sarver also scored twice in a Sept. 23, 4-0 victory against Central Michigan University. The goals have come in the first half both times Sarver has scored twice this season.

Junior goalkeeper Amy Annala was close to picking up her fifth shutout of the season, but Remi Eades, Bobcats’ freshman forward and midfielder, scored on the rebound of a saved penalty kick in the 83rd minute. It was the third time this season Annala made 10 or more saves in a match.

The Redhawks defeated the Eastern Michigan University Eagles 3-2 in overtime last Sunday. In the 109th minute, Redhawks’ junior midfielder Maggie Scott beat Eagles’ sophomore goalkeeper Kaylin Williams to the ball in the box and fired a shot from the end line into the far post.

Through four conference games this season, Sarver has nine points from four goals and one assist. Annala has made 19 saves with an 83 percent save percentage through four MAC games.

The Huskies start a three game homestand when they face the Ball State University Cardinals (8-2-2, 3-0-1 MAC) 2 p.m. Sunday at the Soccer and Track and Field Complex.

Ball State earned a 0-0 draw against Central Michigan University last Sunday.

The Huskies trail the Cardinals in the all-time series, 5-8-4, and lost 4-0 in their previous meeting Oct. 16.