Volleyball player kneels for anthem

By Scott Nicol

DeKALB | Chrystal McAlpin, redshirt sophomore outside hitter, took a knee during the national anthem at Friday’s volleyball game on Victor E. Court.

The game, against the University at Buffalo, resulted in a win in straight sets for the Huskies, increasing their winning streak to double-digits.

McAlpin followed Colin Kaepernick is San Francisco 49ers quarterback, footsteps in the fight for equality and justice, as she has been participating in the Black Lives Matter movement for several weeks.

“I’ve been doing it for the past four weeks since we’ve started playing at home,” McAlpin said. “I joined along with [the movement] after I saw plenty of protests from other athletes around the country, both professional and amateur. It makes me feel a little bit more involved in the movement.”

Kaepernick gained recognition for sitting during the national anthem Aug. 26 — which he later ammended into a kneel to show respect towards veterans — in the NFL preseason because he didn’t want to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color, according to NFL’s website. The sports world has since seen athletes from all sports of all levels starting to take a knee to show solidarity.

The Black Lives Matter movement, which has mobilized nationwide protests and other civil actions against alleged police mistreatments, has gained recognition at NIU with protests occuring this past week on DeKalb’s campus, and McAlpin said she wants to be able to have that voice with the movement too.

McAlpin said she is standing up against the injustices occuring locally and throughout the nation.

“[I’m] just standing up against police brutality and the inequalities that are going on both in DeKalb and around the nation,” McAlpin said.

Head coaches of all levels throughout the nation have voiced their opinion on their players taking a knee during the national anthem, and not all have supported their players.

“If any of my players sit on the bench for the national anthem, they will sit there the rest of the game,” said John Tortorella, head coach for U.S. World Cup of Hockey, according to an ESPN article in Sept.

McAlpin spoke with her coaches and teammates before initially taking the knee.

“I’ve talked to my teammates,” McAlpin said. “I’ve talked to my coaches about it, and I have their full support. I really appreciate that. It’s not always the easiest thing to take part in. Throughout NIU’s campus I’ve seen organizations do peaceful protests around campus, and I love what’s going on and the attention that it’s getting. It’s really nice to see that type of impact here.”

McAlpin said she took a knee to support the the movement and not to cause a distraction to the team.

“This is to bring attention to the matter,” McAlpin said. “It’s not to cause anyone to get upset about it, but just so it can open up that discussion of ‘why is she doing that?’ Hopefully people can open their eyes a little more and see what’s going on beyond the media and try to interact more with people who are experiencing it.”

Atlee Hargis, photographer and staff writer, contributed to this article.