MAC fate ahead for women’s soccer

Freshman forward Taylor Sarver battles for control of the ball in a Sept. 25 game against Toledo. The Huskies went on to win the game 2-0.

By Raven Boyd

Women’s soccer (2-12-1, 1-6-1 MAC) prepares for a two-game weekend that could secure its position in the MAC tournament. The team has won just one game in its last games.

Bowling Green

The Huskies, who have won one in the last eight contests, must lock in a win and a tie to gain a seed into the MAC tournament.

The team is looking to return to the basics after having their first tied game of the season last weekend, said head coach John Ross.

The Falcons are 5-3 at home despite having lost their last four games and being shutout by both Toledo and Central Michigan.

Bowling Green leads the MAC by nearly thirty saves and averages 7.12 saves per game. The Huskies come in second with 5.53 saves per game.

Sophomore goalkeeper Amy Annala assisted the Huskies in their first shutout of the season last weekend and attributes it to a team effort.

“I think we finally realized we are in this, we can compete with all the teams in the MAC,” Annala said.

NIU continues to lead the MAC in fouls, averaging 13 a game, and will have to be aware and alert as the season’s most important games approach.

Redshirt freshman midfielder Erica Hubert sat out last year for the Falcons due to an injury, but has returned with seven goals and 15 points on the season.

Another potentially important player for the Falcons is sophomore forward Mikaela Couch, who has collected five goals and 14 points.

Bowling Green averages about 13.38 shots per game and is currently last in the MAC East standings.

Eastern Michigan

The Huskies are set to play the Eastern Michigan Eagles on their senior day. Both the Huskies and the Eagles come in averaging one goal per game. The teams rank close in corner kicks as well.

“Confidence from Miami will definitely help on the field,” said Annala, who averages six saves per game.

The Eagles have taken less than half of their shots on goal and average 10 shots per game. They are 3-2 at home with three home matches remaining.

Central Michigan is coming off a loss last weekend against Kent State and have allowed 34 goals this season while scoring just 16.

The Huskies will have to “have fun and do what they know how to do” in order to be successful, Ross said. “This group is very talented and we just want them to play”.

Game one will take place at 6 p.m. Friday in Bowling Green, Ohio, against Bowling Green and the second game will take place at noon Sunday in Ypsilanti, Michigan against Eastern Michigan.

The weekend will determine whether NIU will advance to the top eight and qualify for the MAC tournament. The team is currently ranked last in the MAC.

The Huskies have yet to win an away game this season, and have just one remaining home game. The MAC tournament quarterfinals are set to begin Nov. 1st.