Student Association directors Ben Donovan and Alex Martin resign from SA

Ben Donovan, Student Association director of Governmental Affairs, talks to senators at a Jan. 25 SA Senate meeting about a proposal to lower DeKalb’s bar entry age from 21 to 20. Donovan said the SA will give a statement about the idea at today’s City Council meeting.

By Margaret Maka

Two Student Association directors resigned from the SA shortly after the 2015 SA executive election was decided April 1.

Governmental Affairs Director Ben Donovan resigned April 1 and Academic Affairs Director Alex Martin resigned at the end of last week, said Public Affairs Director Joe Palmer.

Donovan was the presidential candidate for the Standing for Every Student ticket in the executive election and Alex Martin was the Voice of Change campaign manager. The members of the Voice of Change ticket won every position in the election.

Donovan “cited that he wasn’t comfortable moving forward given the election results and [Martin] cited that he needed to focus on his grades, and as Academic Affairs director he probably made the best choice,” said SA President Joe Frascello.

The SA won’t replace either position for the remainder of the semester, Frascello said.

“We would like to have our full staff,” Frascello said. “Both Ben and Alex were good directors but personal choices sometimes outweigh your professional choices.”

Check back for more details.