Rep Yo Org recruits for student groups

By Andrew Roberts

The Black Student Union will use the annual Rep Yo Org event to improve recruitment and retention in student organizations by showcasing each group’s talent.

The sold-out show, which starts 7:30 p.m. March 19 in the Holmes Student Center, Carl Sandburg auditorium, is a way for organization members to perform and inform attendees about their groups.

There will be more than 15 organizations performing, including E.B.O.N.Y. Women and Phi Rho Eta. The performances will vary from song, dance or something unique to each organization.

“They give a brief history of their organization,” said Eugene Marshall, Black Student Union programming director and Rep Yo Org event coordinator. “Why they join, how they benefit the community, all those great positive things; and after that, they pretty much showcase their personality within the organization.”

Planning for Rep Yo Org has been in the works since the fall semester. Marshall said he wanted organizations to have plenty of time to rehearse so they could be sharp for the performances.

“This year’s Rep Yo Org is really trying to help out and get people involved in organizations,” said Adewale Adetunji, Black Student Union president and senior political science major. “Based off the data that we’ve seen and based on our research, the more that students are involved, period, they’re more likely to stay at a college university.”

One set will include traditional African dances performed by the African Student Alliance.

Yannick Koua, African Student Alliance president and senior community leadership and civic engagement major, said he sees the event as a great way to stand up for organizations.

“One thing we’re trying to do is bring a different aspect of culture and educate people,” Koua said. “We’re going to give a little snippet of different African dances and educate people on different cultures of Africa.”

Collan Davidson, Iota Phi Theta president, said he sees Rep Yo Org as an opportunity for students to be themselves and show not only who he is, but also what his organization is. The fraternity will perform a stroll, a unique dance to Iota Phi Theta.

“We’re going to a couple of traditional strolls and some new strolls we haven’t done before,” Davidson said.

Marshall said the expected number of attendees is 950. Tickets for the show went on sale March 5 and sold out Wednesday.

“It’s not just a show,” Marshall said. “It’s more than that. It’s to show what we can do as students. Everybody has barriers that can be broken and this shows them that despite your challenges, despite whatever you’re going through, they can be” overcome.

An after party for performers and attendees will be held at 11:30 p.m. in the Recreation Center.