Women’s golf headed to Texas

By Rhema Rhea

Women’s golf is back in action for its second tournament of the spring season.

NIU will be participating in stroke play during the 15-team Islander Classic, which tees off at 8 a.m Monday and runs through Tuesday in Corpus Christi, Texas. The Huskies will send five golfers to the tournament.

During their first tournament of the spring, the Huskies got their first taste of match play scoring at MAC Match Play, where they won two of their three matchups during the two-day stretch.

On the second day of MAC Match Play, four players picked up victories from their matchups. Among the winners was freshman Lena Gautier, a spring-semester addition to the team.

Gautier, who will golf in the No. 1 slot for the Huskies, is one of two freshmen on the roster.

Head coach Kim Kester said the freshman, who is from France, is still adjusting to her time in the states but said she feels the team has been great for her and helped make the transition go smoothly.

“I think she has been doing extremely well,” Kester said. “The whole team welcomed her with open arms and that’s what you like to see with a program.”

Kester said NIU has been looking solid in practice and is hoping to translate that hard work they have put in to the golf course.

“Everyone on the team across the board is hitting the ball well, pitching, chipping, and putting,” Kester said. “We’ve been able to see them outside, and honestly we can’t do that with the entire team unfortunately, with the living conditions we have up here, but they are probably hitting it the best they have been all year, so that’s what you like coming out of the winter and going somewhere down south where it will be low 70s hopefully.

“I think overall they are starting off their season the best that they’ve been, it’s just the whole game is coming together everybody on the team across the board has worked extremely hard this offseason to fine tune their game and the hard work is definitely paying off for everyone.”

Kester said all aspects of their game, including putting, seem to be right where they want them heading into this tough field of teams.

“We have done quite a few putting drills to work on stability and path and they have really taken the advice that was given to them,” Kester said. “It’s one of those things we’ll see when we get down there how it translates, just looking at it and seeing them more comfortable in their setup is half the battle right there, overall they are looking comfortable and confident and I just think they are ready to get back on the course as soon as they can.”