Mayoral candidates discuss partnering with NIU

By Ryan Chodora

The relationship between DeKalb and NIU is just one of many focused topics of conversation between mayoral candidates for the upcoming election.

“I think DeKalb and NIU can greatly improve the relationship that they have,” said mayoral candidate Jennifer Groce, research associate in community and economic development at NIU.

Groce said she wants to see continued development between the NIU and DeKalb police. Groce said the departments have made great strides with safety and security in the area.

“I think we need to further strengthen the work that our city does on academic development and planning,” Groce said.

Groce also wants to see enhancement in job opportunities for NIU students.

Groce believes more communication between the city and the university will be a major benefit.

“I think we could further enhance the planning that we do, both at the city and the university level, to join hands and really make important decisions together when it makes sense on fundamental issues with regards to housing and other areas and planning so that we can really have a stronger community,” Groce said.

Mayoral candidate, David Jacobson, DeKalb’s first ward alderman, believes DeKalb and NIU have a good relationship, but it could be better.

“I think we have an opportunity right now with the change of leadership, both at the university and the city, to bring the right people in that will start together and be tasked with the responsibility of learning to work together from day one,” Jacobson said. “I think that will lead to real good conclusions.”

Jacobson said when DeKalb hired a new chief of police, Gene Lowery, a new partnership between DeKalb police and NIU police was developed. Jacobson believes a similar product can be achieved with the changing of governance in the city and university.

“To be committed partners, they have to work together at multiple levels,” Jacobson said.

Jacobson said there is a lack of contact between NIU’s Board of Trustees and the DeKalb City Council.

“I think there’s all sorts of places where we can better partnership, whether it be supporting athletics, whether it be in supporting student association, there’s all sorts of opportunities out there that I feel we’re not necessarily focusing on at this point,” Jacobson said.

Jacobson said NIU and DeKalb are partners and can benefit from each other.

“I am a firm believer that a strong and well-managed and well-run city of DeKalb is good and benefits NIU, and certainly the converse is true,” Jacobson said. “Because of our geography, because of what we have here, we are partners, we have to be partners sharing in the successes and/or sharing in the losses if we don’t do it the correct way.”

Mayoral candidate John Rey, retired SAP consultant at Monsanto, thinks the relationship between DeKalb and NIU can be strengthened. He believes that is done by building individual relationships.

Rey thinks the selection of the new NIU president will provide a good opportunity to strengthen the relationship between DeKalb and the university.

“Being able to dialogue on a strategic level to identify plans from both the city and the university…is a major opportunity,” Rey said. “Rather than reacting on an individual initiative, being able to sit down and share strategic directions with both NIU and others in the region.”

Rey said individual relationships, specifically between the office of mayor and the office of the university president, need to be maintained. Rey said there is a multi-level interaction that needs to occur between the city and the university.

Mayoral candidate Mike Verbic, instructional media system tech at NIU, called the relationship between DeKalb and NIU a work in progress.

If elected, Verbic plans to form a DeKalb leadership council; this council would involve leadership positions from the city of DeKalb, NIU, Kishwaukee College and other governing bodies. Verbic believes this would help to align their goals, and it would be done publicly.

“I believe the one area where we’ve improved more recently is safety and security,” Verbic said. “DeKalb police and NIU police are reaching out to one another more than ever.”

Verbic acknowledged the potential problems that may arise due to NIU’s initiative to have all freshman and sophomore students live in the dorms. Verbic said this will negatively impact DeKalb’s local economy as well as its property owners and landlords.

“I believe we need to work more closely together with regards to these housing issues to make sure that, first and foremost, that NIU students are provided with a safe place to live, a place to study,” Verbic said. “But at the same time, recognize that we have property owners that are well invested in our community and what are those impacts to their business.”

Verbic said communication between DeKalb and NIU is a main priority.

“We need each other,” Verbic said.

Election Day for the new mayor of DeKalb is April 9.