Stay warm and trendy

By Kayla Cameron

Winter is a time to bundle up and to stay warm in any way possible. By that I mean wearing so many layers you can’t move.

Staying warm also means sometimes sacrificing style for practicality and DeKalb, for instance, is no exception to this winter rule. Being up north and in the middle of cornfields means the winters are colder and harsher than what some are used to. Winters on the NIU campus can cause students and faculty alike to rush out and buy extra hats, gloves and scarfs. Although, there are those few people that feel like getting proper winter weather attire is unnecessary or annoying. That’s why I devised a list of the five things you need in your closet for a DeKalb winter:

1. Waterproof shoes. I know UGGs hold a special place in all of our hearts, but let’s be real: They were not made to handle trudging through the snow and salt. We pay more than $100 a pair, so why ruin them? There are plenty of fuzzy and comfortable snow shoes out there that are actually meant for getting wet and keeping our toes nice and dry.

2. Winter coat. Wearing big, bulky jackets aren’t what some would call fashionable (or even the most flattering) but neither is wearing sweatshirts in the middle of winter. Temperatures can get down to the single digits and below, so you need something with insolation to keep you warm. Layering sweatshirts or clothing is always good, but never wear just a sweatshirt alone. So, don’t be afraid to buy that big winter coat; it helps keep you warm and away from colds. Hey, you’re only wearing it for a couple months out of the year, anyway.

3. Zip or button. Getting a winter coat is an essential, as I’ve said, but once you get a coat in order for the full warming effect to take place you must zip up your jacket. I’ve seen a lot of students on campus wearing a great winter coat but absolutely neglecting to zip, then they’re standing there complaining about being cold. Even if you’re in a hurry to get to your next class, just remember: Never skip the zip.

4. Accessories. Once you’ve gotten your warm winter coat, now all you need is winter attire to go with it. According to The Washington Post, there is such a thing as a “chimney effect” which occurs when, “Dense, cold air works its way into your pants and sleeves and pushes warm, light air out through other openings.” So when you forget your hat, gloves and scarves, you’re loosing the precious heat that’s keeping you nice and toasty.

5. Sunscreen. Surprisingly, the one thing you need the most during summer, you also need during winter. You are even more prone to getting harmful UV rays because the rays from the sun get amplified against the white snow and no one thinks to put on sunscreen. So even if it’s a moisturizer with protection, you’re better safe than sorry.