NIU presidential candidates to be interviewed

By Robert Baird

The final 10 candidates to succeed NIU President John Peters will be interviewed in front of the Presidential Search Advisory Committee (PSAC) today and Friday.

The PSAC is composed of 28 members and includes two students: Student Association (SA) President Delonte LeFlore and graduate student John Bruce.

SA Senate Speaker James Zanayed said both of these committee members are unable to comment on the meetings.

“They want to keep the candidates’ identities confidential,” Zanayed said. “They don’t want their employer to find out they’re applying else where.”

According to a news release from Paul Palian, director of media and public relations, the candidates will meet for their interviews from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare, 9300 Bryn Mawr Ave. in Rosemont. The committee will go into a closed session for its final determinations.

“The short list that the committee gives to the Board of Trustees is their final recommendations,” Zanayed said.

Zanayed said that once the committee gives the short list to the board, the committee’s job is over.

“Each presidential search operates differently,” Palian said. “The goal is to have someone in place before Peters steps aside June 30.”

The presidential hiring process appears to have changed from when Peters was selected. According to a March 3, 2000, Northern Star article, students were able to ask candidates questions in a forum setting.

The board has not mentioned a student forum yet, according to Alan Rosenbaum, PSAC co-chair and psychology professor.

“That’s for the Board of Trustees to decide,” Rosenbaum said. “It’s entirely in their hands and whatever format they choose. The committee will send a short list to the Board of Trustees by Friday night. We should hear something in the later half of this month to mid-April. Again, this is the board’s prerogative. Nothing is certain.”