Students, organizations awarded at SA ceremony

By Erin Kolb

Student Association (SA) hosted a Student Choice Awards Night Monday at the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

Award categories ranged from all aspects of Student Association life, including Cultural Awards, Department Awards and Greek Awards, among others. According to Daihee Cho, event organizer and director of Student Life, getting involved is beneficial to students in many ways. Cho moved from South Korea a few years ago and said the SA helped him adjust to life on campus.

“I was nervous coming to NIU because I didn’t have the language skills,” he said. “Through the Student Association, I was able to meet great student leaders at NIU so I could get involved and build up my confidence.”

There were 12 categories of awards and 34 different awards were given by the end of the night. Awards included the Outstanding Academic Achievement Award, won by Stephanie Viane; Student Athlete of the Year, won by Nabal Jefferson of the football team; and the Outstanding Organization Award, won by NIU Green Paws.

“A lot of the time and effort the students give to the SA in general and the student organizations is voluntary,” said SA Senate Speaker James Zanayed. “All of the efforts need to be recognized. Getting an award is great for a resume, but I’m sure a lot of these people aren’t in it for the award. They’re in it because they’re actually dedicated to making a difference.”

Cho said the dedication to different areas of college life is an important part of the college experience.

“Why do people come to higher education? To get a job,” he said. “You can sit in and watch TV, wanting to help, but getting involved and building relationships is the most important thing.”

Don Henderson, director of Students’ Legal Assistance, was the event’s keynote speaker. He said it is important to recognize student achievements.

“Your actions speak for you; I’m so happy you’re being recognized by other students and each other,” he said during his speech. “This is a unique relationship between the facility at NIU and the student body at NIU.”

Henderson said the student body provides essential input to what students think is viable and what students need, but higher education still has some issues.

“It seems to me that the reality is the future of higher education is in question,” he said. “Why is that? Obviously money, finances and technology. For all the wonders and the communication it provides, it may lead people into a direction we may not have accounted for or may not prefer.”

Cho thinks the SA awards are a good way to connect the university officials with the student body.

“It’s hard for students to see what these departments have done for them and what students have done for these departments,” he said. “It’s critical to get to know each other, to develop relationships with each other. It’s critical for students.”