Different cultural centers, organizations host variety show

By Terrance Bullock

Skills were shown and cash was made by student dance groups and musical artists at the Money On My Mind Variety Show Competition on Thursday.

The competition was hosted by the Adela de la Torre Honor Society.

The show’s raised funds went towards a scholarship in the name of senior accounting major Danielle Pisterzi, who died in February. The show had 14 acts and took place at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

“I loved the diversity,” said junior psychology major Adriana Sotelo. “It was a great show.”

Acts like Tumbao displayed their Latino heritage through dances like the salsa and bomba. Elementary education major Regina Wells showcased her vocal talents through renditions of popular R&B songs, along with others. During the dance competition, participants of the show jumped intp each other’s acts to show support.

Music was provided by DJ Mark “Kaliber” Sorto.

“The show was great, and I enjoyed the dancing and rappers,” said Erin Butler, senior pre-physical therapy major. “The DJ rocked.”

A panel of nine judges voted on each act. Two winners were awarded the $20 prize. Student Rey Irizarry came in first place for his bomba dance. The second place runner-up was Animated Dance Troupe for its dance mix.

The show ended with a friendly and unofficial dance competition between members of the audience.

“I really enjoyed the dance off at the end of the show,” said freshmen English major Stephenie Gipson. “It looked like a lot of fun.”

The variety show was supported by several groups on campus, including Black Male Initiative, Latino and Latin American studies, Asian American Center and the Latino Resource Center.