Sophomore looks forward to progressing in women’s basketball

By Bob Kreider

The Huskies’ (7-16, 2-8 MAC) sophomore point guard, Amanda Corral, has been very important to NIU’s success this season.

Last year, Corral started in every game and averaged 31.7 minutes per game. She ranked second on the team in scoring by averaging 10 points per game and she managed 47 assists, 21 steals and 149 rebounds. She led the team and the MAC in 3-point shooting percentage at 45.1 percent, the all-time best single season performance in NIU history.

Corral knows she has improved on what was already a good freshman year and attributes her success this year to her teammates.

“In my game I think I’ve improved from last year and have had more confidence,” Corral said. “But I think it comes down to my teammates putting me into good positions to score and helping me out on that aspect.”

NIU head coach Kathi Bennett recognized Corral’s effective 2012-13 season, calling Corral a key player.

“She definitely is our go-to, but not only that we need her to handle the ball,” Bennett said. “She usually gets the toughest defender on her, so she is really locked in and has done a great job.”

In her second season, Corrall has started all 22 games and averages 33.6 minutes per game. Her 739 total minutes this season are the most of anyone on the team and she is tied for the most steals with 28. Corral has averaged 12.9 points per game (13.3 MAC) and has shot just under 40 percent from behind the 3-point line. The 5-foot6 point guard led the team in rebounds per game for much of the season, but redshirt sophomore forward Jenna Thorp has been on a rebounding frenzy as of late, taking the lead over Corral.

Corral and the Huskies have stepped up after losing senior forward Satavia Taylor to a torn ACL, something Corral experienced in her senior season at Hobart High School. The team has now won two straight since Taylor went down and still has six conference games before the MAC tournament starts in March. In the past two games, Corral averaged 19 points, five assists and just more than five rebounds. Other players have also had some standout performances in the wake of Taylor’s injury: Thorp continues to rebound well and junior guard Ashley Sneed has had good scoring performances in the Huskies’ last two victories.

NIU looks to get its third straight conference win against Bowling Green on Saturday at the Convocation Center.