Career Services to put on several fairs in February

By Lindsey Rodriguez

Pull out those resumes–it’s time for “Huskies Get Hired.”

Career Services has put together a series of fairs and workshops to help students clean up their resumes and find jobs after graduation.

“We began keeping records in 1988 [of NIU’s workshops and fairs], although the fairs pre-date 1988,” said Mary Myers, director of Campus and Employer Relations.

The first two events are set to take place Monday and Wednesday.

Monday’s event is a workshop for internship and job fair preparation. In this workshop, students will be shown how to dress and interact with employers at NIU’s job and internship fairs. Students will meet from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the Campus Life Building, Room 100.

Wednesday’s workshop event focuses on the “ABC’s of getting an Internship.” This will focus on the steps of finding internship opportunities and preparing for interviews.

Both of these workshops are intended to help students prepare for the internship fairs on Feb. 19 and 20.

“Being at the fair lets you be more than your resume; be a smile and a personality,” said internship coordinator Catherine Doederlein.

The Internship fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 19 in the Convocation Center. Parking is free for interested parties. Employers have been able to register for the event since Nov. 1. The list of employers attending the fair is on the Career Services’s page on the NIU website, bit.ly/XlpWTI.

The Convocation Center will also host a full-time job fair for NIU seniors and alumni on Feb. 20. It will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and all are encouraged to attend. The fair is free for NIU students, $5 for alumni and $10 for non-NIU students.

“I am looking forward to the fair to find a summer internship to gain experience in my field, and make me a more competitive candidate when looking for a full-time job,” said senior accounting major Cristian Tinoco.

Reynaldo Gil, junior business administration major, attended the fairs in fall 2012.

“It was a great experience because I was able to speak with a lot of employers and learn about the different companies that attended,” said Gil.

All students are welcome to prepare for the upcoming workshops and fairs throughout February and into March.

For more information, visit Career Services at the Campus Life Building, Room 220, call 815-753-1641 or email [email protected].