Admitted Student Day welcomes prospective NIU students

By Lindsey Rodriguez

Students and faculty work together on Admitted Student Day to give recently accepted students a chance to learn what it’s like to be a Huskie.

The most recent Admitted Student day was hosted from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday in the Holmes Student Center. After checking in, admitted students were given the opportunity to ask questions about the Northern life; the questions were answered by a panel composed of current NIU students.

“It is a great way for future students to see what NIU has to offer,” said senior journalism major Brian Singer. He attended the event before his freshman year several years ago.

Singer recalled attending the event with his brother, a former NIU student.

“It helped convince me that Northern Illinois University was the best choice,” Singer said.

Following the student panel, students branched out for academic sessions with faculty and staff from their specific academic college and department major. Students and parents were able to map out their NIU experience with advisers.

“All the coordinators for the event made it very helpful and they were very detailed in all the tours,” said Samar Rahman, freshman elementary education major.

She said the event was very helpful to guiding her NIU experience.

An optional financial aid workshop was available for students who attended, along with housing tours and an informational browsing fair of campus resources until 2:30 p.m.

“I think [the event is geared] more towards the parents and for students to meet new people,” said Maliha Afreen, junior health administration major. “It gives them a chance to be comfortable location-wise.”