Study Abroad Fair offers credit for students traveling abroad

By Erin Kolb

The Study Abroad Office hosted a fair Thursday in the Holmes Student Center gallery.

The fair consisted of several tables with information on the more than 80 countries NIU offers as study abroad locations. According to Study Abroad Director Anne Seitzinger, the fair focused on the faculty-directed program. In the faculty-directed program, NIU faculty members accompany the students overseas and teach classes in a local university, sometimes with guest speakers from the country. This is different from the cosponsored programs NIU offers; with those programs, the classes overseas are taught by professors of the university students are visiting. Seitzinger said the majority of NIU students who study abroad participate in the faculty-directed program because the trips are shorter and often less expensive, but students realize the value of studying abroad.

“I think primarily, students realize it’s a global world and want to be able to function in a world where being international is increasingly important,” Seitzinger said.

Lauren Mock, Outreach and Programming Coordinator, studied abroad during her undergraduate years. She went as a part of the faculty-directed NIU at Oxford program in England, and said NIU faculty members taught most of her classes. Sometimes, Oxford professors would come to the class to speak, and Mock remembers a time an Oxford student came and spoke of the differences in higher education in England and America.

Mock found many benefits to studying abroad.

“Academically, studying abroad offers a different perspective on people’s majors and a different perspective on education and learning,” she said. “There are personal benefits, too. When a lot of students come home, they have increased confidence and increased independence. It’s a very positive experience.”

Seitzinger also believes there are many benefits of studying abroad.

“Studying abroad can help you earn credits toward your major, and it’s an exciting way to do so,” she said. “It definitely allows students to be more globally aware, which is important for graduate school or future employers.”

Patrick Birk, freshman business administration major, was at the fair hoping to learn more about studying abroad.

“I don’t have any particular destination in mind, but I want to go somewhere over the summer,” he said. “I think studying abroad is good for networking and going overseas is a good experience to have.”

Birk said he hopes to earn a scholarship to help pay for studying abroad.

Seitzinger said for many NIU students, finances are a concern. She said a lot of NIU students are unaware of the options available to them, and there are often misconceptions. Financial aid and loans apply to studying abroad, and scholarships are available through the Study Abroad Office.

“I hope students don’t ever assume studying abroad is not an option for them because of finances, their major or grades,” she said. “That’s what our office is for.”

Seitzinger said in most study abroad programs, England, France and Spain are the most popular destinations. Housing options such as dormitories or host families, are given to students. Stereotypically, she said, study abroad programs are popular among foreign language majors. She said NIU has been forward-thinking and offers programs for majors like engineering and English, which aren’t typically thought of for study abroad.

Mock said life abroad was comparable to life at NIU, and there are many things to do during free time.

“I like to tell students that studying abroad is like going to classes here at NIU,” she said. “You would never be bored, and there is adventure and reward in studying abroad.”

Mock encourages any student thinking about studying abroad to come to the Study Abroad Office, located in Williston Hall, Room 417, for more information.