‘Deadly sins’ and ‘heavenly virtues’ coming to NIU Art Museum

By Erin Kolb

Retired NIU art professors will speak at the NIU Art Museum’s Tag Team Art History Mini Lectures as part of its’ Vice + Virtue exhibit on Thursday.

The exhibit showcases various artists throughout history and their points of views on the dynamics of “deadly sins” and “heavenly virtues.”

Thursday’s lectures will take place in Altgeld Hall, Room 315, and will feature a brief discussion on the respective professor’s favorite historical work of art that embodies virtue or vice. Professor emeritus Jerry Meyer will speak on Robert Gober, professor emeritus Lou Mustari will speak about medieval depictions of virtue and vice, and former professor Judith Testa will speak on Hans Baldung Grien.

There will be a public reception at the museum from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. Jan. 24, followed by a lecture by Stephen T. Asma. Asma is a professor and a distinguished scholar at Columbia College in Chicago. His lecture is called Karma and Craving: Buddhist Perspectives on Sin.

The Vice + Virtue exhibit is curated by the museum’s assistant director, Pete Olson, who will give two lectures. The lectures take place from 1 to 2 p.m. Jan. 26 and 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. Feb. 12.

The film “The Dante Quartet” will be shown from a 16mm print at 6 p.m. Jan. 29 and Feb. 20. By watching the movie on a 16mm print, viewers will be able to discern the unique qualities of the medium.

Afterward, Olson will provide follow-up commentary to the film.

Rare book viewings will be held starting at 3:30 p.m. Jan. 30 and at 12:30 p.m. Feb. 12 at the museum.

Lynne Thomas, curator of rare books and special collections at NIU, will take out and page through large, fragile volumes of books which are on display at the museum.

There will be one opportunity for patrons to meet one of the featured artists, April Dauscha, who focuses on feminine aspects and the human body to examine morality. She will speak at 5 p.m. Feb. 6 in the Visual Arts Building, Room 111. The talk will be followed by a lace-making workshop from 6 to 9 p.m. On her website, Dauscha said she enjoys working with lace because it represents both femininity and the duality of human nature.

An “open mic” style poetry reading will take place in Altgeld Hall, Room 315, from 7:15 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 7. Preregistration is requested, and participants are invited to read either a favorite poem or one they have written that deals with the theme of Vice + Virtue.

Students of Paula Frasz, School of Theatre and Dance associate professor, will interpret “The Seven Deadly Sins” through dance at 12:15 p.m. Feb. 20, 7:15 p.m. Feb. 21 and 1 p.m. Feb. 23.

The exhibit opened on Jan. 8 and will run through Feb. 23. All events are free and open to the public.