MySpace isn’t sexy, won’t come back

By Anthony Szudarski

He was able to bring sexy back, but will Justin Timberlake be able to bring MySpace back?

After portraying a social network tycoon in a movie, Timberlake is apparently hoping to become one in real life by turning the old school site into the social awesome. But is it too little too late?

Use of MySpace faded out among many people after middle school. Jessika Dodaro, freshman dental hygiene major, said she used the site “when I was in sixth grade.”

I don’t think I used the site much after going into high school, either. By then, I, like many people, had switched over to Facebook.

However, there were features on MySpace that Facebook didn’t have, and after a while I simply forgot about them much like I forgot about MySpace in general.

Such features included customizable backgrounds and music set to play whenever someone visited your personal page. I mean, as much fun as it was having ridiculous songs play whenever people went to check me out, it’s probably better that I’m not annoying people with whatever song is stuck in my head. Then again, who would really get annoyed by Gangnam Style?

Since I didn’t know much about the upcoming relaunch, I wanted to see if other students on campus did.

“I’ve seen a video on it by Justin Timberlake,” junior journalism major Mikey Pastrana said. “I’m gonna go check it out, because I do like the music scene.”

Pastrana was referring to MySpace’s new focus on the music industry where “the creative community can connect to their fans,” said Tim Vanderhook in The Hollywood Reporter. Vanderhook, co-founder, president and chief executive officer of Specific Media, the company that most recently bought out MySpace, also said, “We want to give [artists] a chance to help build it with us.”

Facebook only allows members to “like” bands and music artists. The new MySpace will be centered on music artists and eventually be used to help undiscovered talent get their name out and get signed by labels.

There are videos and teasers online for those willing to look, but right now the lack of information seems like it’ll be the site’s downfall.

I was lucky to even come across information on the relaunch when I was browsing my Twitter feed. Before that, I hadn’t even thought about the old social networking site in years.

There’s always a chance the site comes back into popularity with investors who will be able to bring other big-name music artists to the project, like Timberlake.

I feel that unless MySpace starts a huge ad campaign showing the site has changed—like a barrage of annoying commercials or a new JT song bluntly named something like MySpace in your Face or other public exposure—it’s not going to blow up.

So many people are already over the MySpace fad that I think no matter how much they advertise, MySpace will fail again.

It has not yet been announced when the site will relaunch; however, I have no real intention of checking it out.

I know it seems hardheaded, but I’ve had my time with the site. I enjoyed it for a while and now that we’ve had our time apart, I don’t think we’ll ever be right for each other again. It’s not you, MySpace; it’s me.

Who knows, maybe in a few months it’ll be the next big thing again, and maybe by then I’ll finally get sick of Psy and his crazy dance.