Some NIU services still open over summer

By Lauren Dielman

The Academic Advising Center, Founders Memorial Library, Career Services and the Huskie Den are among the many places on campus open for students to enjoy over the summer.

The Academic Advising Center is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and will offer the same services over the summer as it does during the regular academic session.

“There will be orientation visits but it’s business as usual here,” said Sharon Freeman, office support specialist at the Academic Advising Center.

Adrien Gidaszewski, student employee in the circulation department of Founders Memorial Library, said the library will be closed May 28, June 9 and 16 and July 4.

Speaking for the circulation department, Gidaszewski said all the services provided during the fall and spring semester will be provided over the summer.

Brandon Lagana, director of marketing and information resources management at Career Services, said Career Services will still have the same services as it does in the fall and spring semesters, though it will not host job and career fairs.

“We will be taking appointments for career counseling and resume reviews,” Lagana said. “We are also engaged with those who will be here over orientation.”

Lagana said students should look for jobs over the summer with Huskies Get Hired, a site where employers post jobs for NIU students.

“A good time to access it is over the summer because it’s the best hiring environment since 2007,” Lagana said.

Career Services will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

“If students are going to make use of Career Services, this is the summer to do it,” Lagana said.

Christian Riddle, manager at the Huskie Den, said the Huskie Den is open from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday over the summer.

“We are also open on and off during the summer orientation,” Riddle said.

The University is officially closed on Friday during the summer session.