SA Senate adds new residence hall to District 2 at last meeting of semester

Elliot Echols Senior current President of Student Association and Delonte Leflore Student Association president elect enjoy a meal together after the close of the last Student Association Senate meeting of the year at the Student Association banquet in the Campus Life building sunday evening.

By Felix Sarver

The 43rd session of the Student Association (SA) Senate ended swiftly with a recognized student organization, a bylaw amendment and a change SA Supreme Court procedure.

The Senate passed a bill to add the new residence hall from District 3 to District 2. The bill states District 2, an electoral district for the Senate, will be heavily underrepresented by the closing of three towers in Grant and two wings in Lincoln.

The Senate also approved of changes to the code of procedure for the Supreme Court. The changes include the court making an effort to schedule hearings at a time when all parties can be present and allowing any party to write a request for a witness before a hearing,

The Environmental Studies club was approved by the Senate.

Each item was passed under a consent agenda without questions from the Senate. Senator Mike Theodore said a consent agenda allows a legislative body to pass items on agenda that do not require much debate. The consent agenda also allowed the Senate to end the meeting quickly for a closing session banquet.

At the meeting, SA Senate Speaker Austin Quick said the SA has successfully improved NIU. He noted past accomplishments, like the $100,000 allocated to the Campus Recreation Center for new equipment and the $25,000 for students to attend the January 9 GoDaddy.com bowl game for the NIU Huskies.

Quick said he believed the SA’s advocacy would leave a lasting impact at NIU. The issue of university vehicles parking and driving on sidewalks has become a public problem and is beginning to end thanks to the SA, Quick said. “Next year, students will return to the campus and notice so many positive changes,” Quick said.

Quick said Monday he would work with University Relations to review 200 contracts from the Convocation Center to ensure students are charged fairly.

The Senate took a moment of silence for Steven Agee II, who worked in the SA office. The SA and the university seemed like it was still rocked by Agee’s death, Quick said. Agee was killed in a November shooting.