SA Senate recognizes Ultimate Tazer Ball club

By Felix Sarver

The Student Association Senate recognized a club based on a — literally — shocking sport Sunday.

The NIU Ultimate Tazer Ball (UTB) club was accepted into the SA. The club’s representative, Robert Lausch, said the sport was described by the media as making “football look like knitting.”

Lausch said the sport is played on a 200-by-80 foot astroturf field with regulation soccer nets on each side and a ball in the middle. Four members on each team are armed with a 300,000 volt tazer.

“I’m ex-military,” Lausch said. “I don’t know how many of you have ever been tazed; it doesn’t feel good, but 300,000 volts is on the lower end.”

Lausch said the NIU club is strictly an awareness organization and will not play the sport. The group will promote the sport, watch it and attend UTB-related events.

“We are an awareness organization,” Lausch said. “We will not be running around campus tazing each other.”

Lausch said the club will not hold UTB-sanctioned events on- or off-campus. UTB games might be at NIU in the future, he said.

Ofer Avnon, a unit commander in the Israel Defense Forces, spoke at the Senate meeting about his desire to visit the U.S.

Senator Laura Gallagher asked Avnon where he saw America going in the future. He said if Iran were to have nuclear weapons, the world will look different.

Avnon will speak 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Carl Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center.

SA Senate Speaker Austin Quick said in his report a resolution regarding university vehicle driving and parking was passed at the last meeting of the University Council.

Sebastian Hentbrook resigned from the Senate and the Board of Elections. Senator Rick Young was voted to replace him for the board.

Four senators were absent.