Chicago Sun-Times drops political endorsements

By Joe Palmer

In the midst of the election cycle, the Chicago Sun-Times decided to no longer publish political endorsements.

The decision of the paper’s editorial board sparked a nation-wide debate over the relevance and usefulness of such endorsements.

The Sun-Times’ decision has drawn criticism from fellow journalism giant, the Chicago Tribune. The decision, stated the Tribune, is almost an “abdication” of journalistic tradition and responsibility.

Some NIU students, like Mike Theodore, sophomore political science major, agree with the Tribune that endorsements are a good idea.

“Endorsements are a good thing, and can be helpful in many respects,” Theodore said.

Theodore said that such endorsements can give a candidate a “certain amount of legitimacy,” which can help increase public awareness during the election.

Journalism professor Bill Cassidy agreed, saying endorsements allow newspapers to be “involved in the conversation.”

“In a day and age when society is concerned with the role of newspapers and their influence, it’s important for papers to be involved in their community,” Cassidy said.

Many people share this view, though some are more skeptical about the ability of a paper to stay nonpartisan in their overall reporting.

“Newspapers do have a role in endorsements,” said Kelsey Shockey, senior corporate communications major. . “However, such a role does not trump the responsibility of a newspaper to report objectively.”

Shockey said he would prefer to see a paper that keeps endorsements to “individual assessments on the opinion pages.”

State Rep. Robert Pritchard , R-Hinckley, said he agrees with the Sun-Times’ decision and that endorsements have become less influential. Pritchard said the value of a paper is in its ability to analyze.

“I think the information [newspapers] share is very helpful and convenient for voters to make their own informed choices,” Pritchard said. “The newspaper role should be to force a discussion of the issues and candidates positions.”

Heath Penney , freshman computer science major, shared Pritchard’s sentiment.

“Newspapers have more of a responsibility to inform about what a candidate believes in, not which candidate is right,” Penney said.

Some local papers have also stopped endorsing candidates altogether.

The Daily Chronicle has not endorsed candidates in local races for a number of years now,” said Daily Chronicle editor Jason Schaumburg .

Schaumburg also said the Sun-Times has the right and responsibility to do what it thinks is best for its readers.

In its counter editorial, the Tribune editorial staff does acknowledge the limited scope of political endorsements.

“We’re under no illusions about the extent of our influence,” stated the editorial. “Plenty of candidates lose despite our seal of approval.”

Such endorsements, however, are a method through which the Tribune said it can encourage voters to push an agenda for a more vital community.

“Some newspapers view endorsing candidates as a civic duty,” Schaumburg said. “Others see it as outdated practice.”