Of 35 registered sex offenders in DeKalb, one is NIU student

Google Maps-This map only shows 20 of the 35 registered sex
offenders in the DeKalb area.

Google Maps-This map only shows 20 of the 35 registered sex offenders in the DeKalb area.

By Dave Gong

There are currently 35 registered sex offenders living in DeKalb, one of which is a current NIU student who was charged with criminal sexual abuse, according to the National Sex Offender Public website.

NIU policy states if the university finds that a student has a prior criminal history that may pose a risk to other students within the residence halls, the university has the right to alter or cancel that student’s residence hall contract.

According to the policy, “students residing on a residence hall floor which, in the judgment of the University, has exhibited a pattern of damage and/or other disciplinary problems during a semester or year may not be eligible to return to that floor, residence hall, or the entire residence hall system for the next semester or academic year.”

NIU Media Relations confirmed the identity of a current NIU student, who was convicted of criminal sexual abuse.

According to the DeKalb Police 2010 annual report, there were 45 cases of criminal sexual assault in 2010, a decrease of one instance from 2009.

DeKalb Police Lt. Gary Spangler said because of the university, DeKalb Police investigate more date rapes than they do “stranger rapes.”

Spangler said while the basics of investigating sexual crimes are not different from investigating any other crime, there are different services available for victims of sexual crimes.

“Confidentiality is big for sexual assault cases,” Spangler said.

The NIU sexual assault policy states victims of sexual assault who are students may request to have their academic schedule and on-campus living arrangements changed. Additionally, the policy states students found to have committed a sexual assault may face legal, disciplinary or remedial actions.

“In addition to arrest, students may have judicial charges brought against them up to and including suspension or expulsion from the University,” the policy states.

Jenesha Penn, assistant to the vice president for Student Affairs & Enrollment Management, said NIU does not have a background check procedure for new university applicants. However, according to the 2012 freshman application , freshman applicants must disclose all pending criminal charges, as well as any criminal convictions.

“A previous conviction, pending criminal charges, or other expulsion or dismissal does not automatically bar admission to the University, but does require review and evaluation,” the application states.

The NIU Counseling & Student Development Center (CSDC) offers individual and group counseling for victims of sexual assaults, said Brooke Ruxton, counseling psychologist at CSDC.

“If a student is a victim of sexual assault, the easiest time to access our services is between 11 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.,” Ruxton said.

Ruxton said counselors and psychologists speak with victims about what happened to them and help to identify other resources victims might want to use. Counselors also help victims make decisions regarding what steps victims can take, such as contacting police and other authorities, she said.