A breakdown of the MAC East quarterbacks

By Eli Gehn

Akron

Akron lacked the “zip” it needed from quarterback Patrick Nicely last year on its way to a 1-11 season. Nicely had 10 touchdowns through the air compared to 13 interceptions. This season, Nicely is expected to have better production with several new offensive lineman that could possibly provide more protection. The key word is “possibly.”

Bowling Green

Sophomore Matt Schilz ran a sub-par passing attack for the Falcons last season, throwing eight touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Head coach Dave Clawson hasn’t jumped to any conclusions on who the starter will be this fall, but it has been a battle between Schilz and red shirt freshman Trent Hurley.

Buffalo

In Jeff Quinn’s first year as Buffalo head coach in 2010, the Bulls went 1-7 against the MAC competition with sophomore Jerry Davis running the offense. Buffalo committed 23 turnovers through the air, which won’t necessarily win football games. Now, it looks like sophomore Alex Zordich is in favor of earning the starting spot. Davis had a good spring so it’ll be interesting which way Quinn decides to go in his second season.

Kent State

The Kent State Golden Flashes were anything but flashy in the offensive game last season. Spencer Keith manned the offense last year inconsistently due to a thumb injury that bothered him throughout the season. First-year head coach Darrell Hazell plans on using a spread offense this year, which is a better suited offense for Keith.

Miami (Ohio)

Oh, how the Huskies would love to forget about their MAC Championship game against the Redhawks last season. Miami has a tough decision to make between junior Zac Dysert and sophomore Austin Boucher. Dysert opened as the starter last season before suffering an injury. Boucher took over and eventually led the Redhawks to a MAC Championship victory over NIU and a bowl victory over Middle Tennessee State. A starter likely won’t be determined until August.

Ohio

The Bobcats aren’t really sure what they should be doing with their quarterback situation. They have former Iowa State transfer Phil Bates, who struggles big time when it comes to passing the ball. In order to use his talent on the field, head coach Frank Solich may switch Bates to tailback or wide receiver due to the promising potential he has in sophomore Tyler Tettleton and red shirt freshman Kyle Snyder at the quarterback position.

Temple

Under new head coach Steve Addazio, the Owls got a promising quarterback in Clinton “Juice” Granger. Granger is a junior college transfer who is expected to be a force to be reckoned with if he is let loose under center. Addazio is the former offensive coordinator of the Florida Gators and is known to have a creative offensive mindset. He plans on using the spread option with Temple this year, which fits Granger’s capabilities perfectly.